INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Issue  (Read 982 times)

amsco15

• World Citizen
Library Issue
« on: July 23, 2021, 02:23:16 pm »

I run two Media Centers at home on two separate WIN 10 machines.  One has my primary library and the other I use to remotely access the primary library.  If I try  to load the primary library from the remote computer using the Access key I get a message, "You can't add your own library.  Please enter the key of a different library."  I can load the library using the URL to the server with the port:52199.  The issue is this library has to be reloaded often.  Updates, long periods of no use, etc. and I have to re-enter the url:52199.  Not a huge issue but would like it to stick.  Any ideas?  Thanks!!

amsco15

• World Citizen
Re: Library Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 06:17:32 pm »

Not sure what happened.  The system has been operating as I described above for several months.  Something shook lose recently and the library with the correct access code showed up in my list of libraries.  Hu.  Seems all is well now, thanks!

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 07:28:06 am »

Is it possible that you have restored the lib of computer A on B ? In that case both computers would use the same access key. But only one is visible from the WAN side of your router.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 09:14:51 am »

Yes, likely the case.  Don't know how to fix it though.  It keeps happening (thought it was fixed but it's not).  I just type in the url:52199 over and over with every reboot, update, etc..  Thanks.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 11:51:50 am »

Not clear to me from the posts whether you have tried the "simple" stuff:

1) If A and B have the same access key, then change one of them with:
Tools > Options > Media Network > Access Key > Reset...

2) When restoring library from computer A onto computer B,
File > Library > Restore > Restore Settings [unchecked]

If you have "Restore Settings" checked, then B will inherit A's Access Key, which you want to avoid.  If you need "Restore Settings" for some reason, then you will have to go back and change one of the Access Keys manually as in 1) after the restore.

Unfortunately Access Key is never mentioned in the Library Backup wiki article https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup.

I don't know if this resolves your issue, but I've been caught by this behavior several times.  So I just submitted a Feature Request https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130258.0.html.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 01:38:09 pm »

Thank you much for taking the time to write this out. 

Computer A (new computer) currently has an access Key assigned (same key that used to exist on Computer B).  This is the new computer I use to store my music and the new primary Media Center computer.

Computer B (original computer replaced by computer A) is the one I now use to remotely access the data stored on Computer A.  I reset the access key on computer B already (the option to reset it does not currently exist).  However, when I attempt to add the now Computer A library to Computer B using Computer A's access key, I receive the message, "You can't add your own library.  Please enter the key of a different library."

I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough.  No doubt I restored the library from Computer B to Computer A.  Didn't know.  I hesitate to reset the access key on Computer A, my DLNA network and jremote work perfectly and have for years.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 05:16:03 pm »

I hesitate to reset the access key on Computer A, my DLNA network and jremote work perfectly and have for years.
Just to be sure, did you reboot B after resetting its Access Key?  Also reboot A (per Update below, I found it necessary to completely close/restart my MC server in order for it to allow connections from the client after resetting the client's Access Key)?

At least twice I ran into what may be a similar problem after locally restoring a client from a server library backup with "Restore Settings" checked, and then trying to have the client load/play the server library over the network.  Each time I ended up resetting the server Access Key.  It was an annoyance for sure, but everything worked after I entered the server's new Access Key into multiple MC PC clients and JRemote2 on Android phone.  The server also runs BubbleUPnP to render on two Google Chromecast Audio dongles over DLNA - no problem there.  So I don't think you have to be fearful of trying that server key reset (famous last words :), but you can backup the server before hand). 

Update 8/5/2021:
Today I find that if I (1) Update the client from a server library backup with Restore Settings checked, (2) Reset the client Access Key,  (3) Close / restart the MC server (which was not done in description above), (4) Add the server library to the client using its Play from > Add Library... .  (5) Then the server accepts a connection from the updated client using the original server Access Key in the Add Library... dialog box (after MC username, password authentication).

So if I "sacrifice" the old client Access Key (which I never use anyway), I don't have to reset the server access key when I have "Restore Settings" checked.  Thereby I avoid updating that server key on the rest of the clients.  Subsequent connections to the added server library do not require me to type in anything, even though I have Tools > Options... > Media Network > Authentication (username, password) checked.  This should be analogous to the OP's case.

Again, if "Restore Settings" is unchecked when restoring a client from a server library backup, there is no need to reset any access keys, or re-add the server library if it was present before the restore.  This is a consequence of left panel items and client access key not getting updated.

Sorry for long-winded babbling response, but it has taken me numerous iterations to understand all the ramifications of that single checkbox.  I hope it helps someone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up