INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port 52199 Question (outside connectivity issue)  (Read 1078 times)

mx4789

• Recent member
Port 52199 Question (outside connectivity issue)
« on: July 24, 2021, 06:05:18 pm »

Using Panel and/or JRemote, I can connect locally (inside network) but not externally (outside network).
So, my questions are:
1. Since I can connect successfully inside my network does that mean port 52199 is open (at all) on the server/pc (even if just locally?)
2. Since I've enabled port forwarding to 52199 on the IP address of the server/pc on my "new" router (see below) does that mean something else is blocking it?  (according to the port scan website, 52199 is not available, so I'm assuming that'd be a "yes"?)

To complicate things... I have a modem/router 192.168.0.1 (that is probably configured to forward 52199 to an old IP address 192.168.0.xx or something).
My server/pc is now attached to a router 192.168.1.1 that is attached to the "old" modem/router.  So I'm thinking that I need to go into the "old" modem/router and change the port forwarding there as well to be 192.168.1.xx  does that sound right?  I really don't remember forwarding 52199 at any point, but maybe I did?

My network is set up like this:
Cable modem/router (192.168.0.1) (crappy, no 5ghz channel, can't update it, etc.) from provider.
New router (192.168.1.1) plugged into old crappy modem/router. Everything on my network connects to the new router an obtains IP's from it.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Port 52199 Question (outside connectivity issue)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 08:10:36 am »

Does the old modem/router have a modem only setting?  If so enabling that may simplify things.

mx4789

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 02:53:24 pm »

That's a good idea.  I planned on turning off the radio in it anyway.  Or... I might move the HTPC connection back to the old modem/router since I know it worked before and consider it to be part of a DMZ.  My security cameras require port 9000 to be open and are still hanging off the old modem/router so I'm liking the idea of a DMZ.  That way my non-public facing stuff is behind the new router and more modern firewall (up to date firmware, etc.) and only my media server and camera box are not.  Hmm....

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 09:07:55 am »

I still think it would be simpler to have the old box as a modem and the new one as a router.  You should be able to set up a DMZ on the new one if you really need it. I'm not an expert but isn't port forwarding more secure and preferable to a DMZ for both your media server and "camera box"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up