INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modifying a view to better organize messy "(Multiple Artists)" compilations  (Read 382 times)

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

Given my history with JRiver and views, two things are true:

1) A view can be created to accomplish virtually anything.
2) I can't figure out how to do it.

Which is why I'm here...

First here's how my basic "Albums - Rock" view is set up --

1) It's grouped by album artist then album.
2) It's sorted by artist and date.

Please see attached photos.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

photo - sort order

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

But this group/sort order results in a mess when it comes to "(Multiple Artists)" compilations, shown here.

I think what I want to do is group compilations by series -- say "Rhino box sets" as circled in photo -- and then sort each series by date.

Can an expression genius please help out a non-genius?

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

Also, as a side note, I love the alphabet navigation at the top and use it all the time on my desktop computer, but because "(Multiple Artists)" begins with punctuation, they're sorted first, and the alphabet nav offers no way to jump to the top of the view.

Feedback -- the alphabet nav needs a "Top" option. Or a "()" option. And move "0-9" before the letters because they're sorted first.

So the alpha nav should begin with "()" and "0-9" options.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

Actually, I think a better order for this section would be grouping by series, then sorting alpha by name, not date.

I mean, who cares or remembers when a compilation was first issued, right? It's the name you remember.

So the expression needs to say something like, if album artist = multiple artists, then group by series, sort by album...

And many compilations are one-offs, so series will be empty, so something needs to handle that case.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm still on MC25, maybe things have changed, but...

It's funny how whoever owned the Smartlist feature provided over FIFTY out of the box, to help people get started (thank you and well done)...

But whoever owned the default views provided less than a bare minimum. Aren't attractive useful views somewhat central to the whole UX of JRiver?
Pages: [1]   Go Up