INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware that supports 3D MVC with JRiver Media Center besides Windows HTPC ?  (Read 1941 times)

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen

I know 3D is a legacy format. My Sharp 60" 3D TV moved to a guest bedroom last year. My HTPC stayed behind in the master bedroom with the shiny new Samsung 4K 82" HDR TV.
I had been using JRiver Media Center on a Windows HTPC to play ISO of 3D blu-ray discs from my NAS.
Is there any other device besides an HTPC that JRiver Media Center runs on which can handle 3D content ?

At the moment, I have a Raspberry Pi 3B with Kodi that somewhat works. But it has limitations in the audio department - it doesn't bitstream DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. And of course the Kodi UI leaves much to be desired. There is a Marantz NR1603 receiver and 5.1 system in the guest bedroom so it's a shame not to be able to. It does bitstream lossy DD+ and DTS still.
There isn't really space in the guest bedroom for another HTPC. And 2021 is kind of the wrong year to build one with the shortage of GPUs.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe

The only thing I can think of is a bluray player that supports 3D.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen

The only thing I can think of is a bluray player that supports 3D.

Of course, but that won't play ISOs from my NAS, nor will it run JRiver Media Center.

I'm trying to avoid buying new optical players. I have many consumer disc players, mainly CD and SACD changers, that have gone bad over the years simply sitting around with light use. I think part of it is the heat, and the rest is dust and cat hair. I have tried cleaning the players to no avail. Most of them need new belts at the very least. Some may need new lasers. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anyone who can fix them. I have probably about 12 failed optical players in the house. I'm going to find somewhere to recycle them in the near future. Interestingly, the computer optical players in my PCs appear to last a lot longer. Some have gone bad too, but only the drives with the heaviest use. And they are not changers so they aren't as prone to mechanical failures.

At this point, I really want to only play rips of the discs from my NAS, as there tends to be much less mechanical failure potential. The hard drives can fail too, but I'm using ZFS RAID-Z2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up