INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed v28 onto PC with existing v27 install - did NOT pickup any settings?  (Read 533 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

All

It was time today to do my yearly MC upgrade and I started on my media server as usual. Backed up the library, did a final check of the settings and installed v28 along side v27.

The installer indicated that it was "upgrading from previous version" and v28 put an icon on the desktop and I thought I was all good.

However - when I fired up v28 - it did not pickup anything from the existing v27 install and is essentially an empty shell with no content, no settings, no nothing.

I have seen some weirdness in the past on MC clients that are using a Media Server (as their primary library) not honoring previous setting during and upgrade - is that the same deal here?

Appreciate any tips for the field.

Cheers!

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I can't explain it, but just restore the library you backed up and you should be set.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen

I've experienced this same thing in the past as well.  I've purchased 28 but am hesitant to install it as my server because of the twitchy nature of the upgrade process.  I know it's not a high priority but, if at some point, someone gets some time to investigate this further it would be much appreciated.

Vocalpoint

I've experienced this same thing in the past as well.  I've purchased 28 but am hesitant to install it as my server because of the twitchy nature of the upgrade process.  I know it's not a high priority but, if at some point, someone gets some time to investigate this further it would be much appreciated.

I was able to restore my most recent backup - but that has issues as well - backups do not handle thumbnails and so on - so there is a bit more to deal with in terms of getting the new install to be identical to the old. I am up and running now - but yes - the "upgrade" process needs work as clearly in my case - MC28 had no idea that MC27 was present (at all) on this machine - even tho the installer did flash by with "upgrading from previous version". But no upgrade was done.

For all intents and purposes - this ended up being identical to a clean install - like I installed MC for the first time on a brand new machine with nothing on it.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

MC28 does work with thumbnails from MC27.

Vocalpoint

MC28 does work with thumbnails from MC27.

Yes - but only if the "in-place" upgrade is successful.

If restoring from a backup - thumbnails are not restored. Unless I am missing something here?

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It was recent that we made adding thumbnails to a backup possible.  So it would only be possible if you upgrade from one of those builds.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

It was recent that we made adding thumbnails to a backup possible.  So it would only be possible if you upgrade from one of those builds.

Matt

Noticed this with v28 - great addition.

While it does create giant backup files - I do like the option to either add them (or not) on the fly.

This makes it easy to back them up when really necessary (like when updating to a new version) vs saving them every time.

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up