INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating "Last Playing", et al, when a client is involved...  (Read 347 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Updating "Last Playing", et al, when a client is involved...
« on: August 09, 2021, 08:18:33 pm »

My setup  currently is a MC server running on my main desktop PC.  There is a PC in the entertainment center that functions as a MC client.  Also involved in this is a Sony Blu-ray player that does DLNA.

What I have noticed:

When i play songs on the Sony Blu-ray and the MC client, the "playing" fields (specifically last played, but there may be others that are appropriate) are not updated when I play a tune on the MC client or the DLNA client.

I took a spin through the search engine of choice and the help links, and I came upon a library "sync" capability.

My first question is: is this what i need?

OK, maybe, I should state my use case first...

When I play a media file on the MC client or on DLNA player I want the database field ~last played date~ to be updated.  That is the core request.

I seem to remember an option to that effect, but I installed MediaCenter so long ago that I don't remember how or if I may have disabled it.

I now see things like "auto sync" in the library part of the menu, but I don't know (and cannot find) exactly what is auto-sync'd.

Help.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Updating "Last Playing", et al, when a client is involved...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 11:50:40 pm »

The wiki should help on this.

You need to set authentication on the server (login and password) in Media Network options.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Updating "Last Playing", et al, when a client is involved...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:30:13 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.  I had the time to work through this today.  I have it working now, with the Last Played Date being updated in the main library shortly after a song is played. on the MC client.

The wiki was helpful, but a bit sketchy in parts.

Here is what I wound up doing:

On the MC Server:

S1) Options>MediaNetwork>Authentication - check and set a user and password

S2) Options>MediaNetwork>Read-Only Authentication - set to Username and password (I'm not sure it this step is needed, but this is they way it was set when I finally got things working)

On the MC client:

C1) Options>MediaNetwork>Client Options (when connected to a library server): check the AutoSync box

At some point on the client (unfortunately I do not remember the time) I was prompted to enter the username and password I entered on the server in step S1.

Without the AutoSync box being checked in C1, if I wanted to sync the client library with the server library, I had to select on the client:

C2)  File>Library>Sync Changes with Library Server

each time I wanted it to sync.  The AutoSync option in C1 seems to make that manual operation automatic.

Now my playlist ~songs I have not played in a while~ works as expected.

Many thanks!

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up