INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location of Saved Views  (Read 621 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Location of Saved Views
« on: August 10, 2021, 10:34:43 pm »

When I save a view and give it a name, I can see that name if I right-click on a column heading and select "Presets" but I cannot see that name anywhere on my C: drive. If I reboot and restart MC I still cannot see that filename on my C: drive. Where are views that I save kept???
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Location of Saved Views
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:24:04 pm »

If by "view", you mean column preset, those are saved in the registry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 28\Properties --> View Settings - Column Presets

"Saved views" on the other hand, are .jvi files that are saved in your library folder, in a sub folder named "Saved Views"

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 06:43:58 pm »

>>"Saved views" on the other hand, are .jvi files that are saved in your library folder, in a sub folder named "Saved Views"<<

That's what I was thinking, but after saving a view as Version 28 "Playlists" View, I don't understand why I a Version 28 "Playlists" View.jvi file does not get listed in my C:\Users...Saved Views folder.

Do you have any ideas why it doesn't, or where else it could be? (It's not in my C:\Program Files (x86) either.)

I'm starting to think that maybe they are in the Registry someplace (God forbid!)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 07:10:21 pm »

Posssibly... clue for me is "but after saving a view as Version 28 "Playlists" View..."

The menu item View > Load/Save View" is not the same as the Load and Save options available in the customise view dialogue.

The one in the View menu saves the current tabs, dual view layout, etc and restoring there, returns the user to that layout in one click should it ever get lost. These are saved in the registry.
The one in customise view, which is, I think, the one you're working with, may not work with playlist views. I can save a view from there, and the jvi file is saved, but I can only access it via the 'load view from file' option, and it doesn't load anything.

I think the jvi files are only available for library views, not playlist/smartlist views, which does beg the question, where is the bug...
Is the bug that those views are showing save/load options, or is it that those options do not appear to be working?

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 05:56:16 pm »

I'm pretty confused by all this, so if I suggest something that isn't right, please bear with me - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When I save a view I right-click on one of the column headings (see the red arrow on the attached image). A menu appears.

I click "Presets". A flyout appears with the words "Save" and "Delete" at the bottom, but no "Load".

I have not found a way that I can navigate to a .jvi view file somewhere else on my computer and load it.

That's what I'm having trouble with.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 11:24:40 pm »

Aaah... a picture.... so often worth a thousand words :)

For reference, that entire area, all around your red arrow, is what we call "The view". In this case, it's your audio view. It is possible to save that whole thing via the two methods I mentioned earlier, bearing in mind that one is quite different from the other. If you took the route through the "Customise View" tool, then we would be in the realm of the "Saved View" and jvi files.

What you are asking about is referred to as "Column Presets".

When you save a set of columns as a preset, they are saved in your registry, as per my first reply...
If by "view", you mean column preset, those are saved in the registry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 28\Properties --> View Settings - Column Presets

So, regarding this:
I click "Presets". A flyout appears with the words "Save" and "Delete" at the bottom, but no "Load".

I have not found a way that I can navigate to a .jvi view file somewhere else on my computer and load it.

That's what I'm having trouble with.
After you save a column preset, it should appear in the list, above the words "Save" and "Delete". To load a saved column preset, simply find it in the list and click on it.

-marko

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 01:22:51 pm »

Thank you for your replies. I read them, I understand them, and I can click them, and they work (so far that is). I can see them in MC 28.

After I installed MC 28 and restored my MC 21 library, I made a few changes to my Audio view, saved it, and then closed MC 28. Next I looked for all the .jvi files that were on the disk using Windows Explorer and I couldn't find that .jvi file. So I used the program "Everything" to search my disk and again, the .jvi file that I saved in MC 28 was just not there.

Why not? I saved it. To me, "saving" a file means the file is written to the disk but in this case the file is never saved to disk.

I also have some .jvi view files that I saved when I was using MC 21. But because MC 28 (and MC 21 as well) has no Load View button I cannot browse to them and load them. What am I not getting?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 04:44:21 pm »

What am I not getting?
I have consumed a considerable amount of single malt this evening, so apologies for the bluntness, but the answer to this question is... Pretty much everything I posted in reply #5.

Column presets are saved in the registry, so, they are saved to disk, and MC will read them from there... you cannot, and nor are you meant to.
jvi files are generated via "Customise View > Saved Views > Save This View".

There's really nothing more I can say to you. Sorry.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 12:25:34 pm »

Hope you enjoyed your brews   :D

Just one more question: If one cannot load .jvi files, what's the purpose of saving them?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 12:35:04 pm »

If you save a view, that's the whole view, not just the columns, via the customise view > saved views > save this view, a jvi file is saved.
In this same tool, you will find the "Load View" option, and there, you can load the jvi file you saved previously.

One last time:
A saved column preset is NOT a "saved view". They are two, very different, things.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 12:46:17 pm »

Hope you enjoyed your brews   :D

Just one more question: If one cannot load .jvi files, what's the purpose of saving them?

The VIEWS are in the Tree, like Albums or Albums - Jazz. Select one. The default views are locked, so create a new one if you want want to load a .jvi file. Right click on the selected view and select Customize View. Under that, look at Settings - Saved Views. You can either load a view (from a .jvi file) or save a view (to a .jvi file). 

Pages: [1]   Go Up