INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems changing from speakers to bluetooth headphones  (Read 885 times)

sluizer

• World Citizen
Problems changing from speakers to bluetooth headphones
« on: August 15, 2021, 10:16:09 pm »

I am suddenly seeing behavior that I don't recall seeing before. It happens when I change from listening with my speaker to listening with my bluetooth headphones.

I have a Windows 10 64-bit machine and the device preference for JRiver is 'default' on both output and input, which is what it's always been as far as I know.

In the (internal) zone that I'm using, I have set the MC Sample Rate for less than 44.1 kHz and 44.1 kHz to output as 48 kHz. That works fine with my internal speaker.

When I turn on my bluetooth headphones, MC still outputs through the speakers, even though the computer tells me that my default device is now my bluetooth headphones. That didn't use to be the case: when I changed from speaker to bluetooth headphones, MC then output the sound through my headphones.

I'm not sure exactly when this changed -- before the pandemic started in March 2020, I used to spend a lot of time in coffee houses and I know it worked great then. At that time I was using version 24.0.75. I bought version 27 in 2020, but initially installed version 26.0.98 in August 2020. I installed version 27.0.43 of MC in January 2021 and updated it to your stable version 27.0.85 (64-bit) in April. So I've never used any of those versions in the way that I used to, since I'm sitting in my house and I don't need to wear headphones most of the time.

I also have the problem that if I then bring up MC's playback options and directly change the audio device to be my bluetooth headphones, I get the dreaded message that "Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI' using the format '48kHz 2ch'." MC tells me to use the output format tool to set the sample rate to be 44.1 kHz.

Oh, I do have the MC option to automatically convert on a playback error set to 'yes'.

So what I would like to know is whether it is possible to have MC act the way that I recall it working. In other words, when I change my Windows default output device from my internal speaker to my bluetooth headphones (by turning on my headphones), the sound in MC then comes through my headphones with no other action required by me.

If that isn't possible, I would like to know whether it's possible to have the output format automatically switch (in the same 'internal zone') when I switch from the internal speaker to the bluetooth headphones, without me having to go in and change the sample rate. I don't see any way to set up the same (internal) zone for speakers with one sample rate and bluetooth headphones with a different sample rate.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up