INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Freezes  (Read 1088 times)

bliman

Audio Freezes
« on: August 17, 2021, 05:30:35 pm »

Hi all,
I have a problem for a long time now.  When I am playing music with JRiver there is a stutter in the audio, a moment (0.5sec or so) where there is no audio.

It happens at random times and it doesn't repeat at the same place or at all if I play the same song again. It can happen a few times in a song or it can stay away for many songs (10 or maybe more). And I have no clue how to find the source of the problem or what to do.

I have set all the buffers I know to the maximum they go but that doesn't help.

Also when I start the program and I for example push on play I have to wait a bit (not for the buffers) and the screen gets blurred and if you would push again it says the program is not responding and is asking if I should wait. Or if I don't push the screen can get blurred and then becomes responsive and clear again and starts playing. I don't know if the two problems are connected.

I have windows 10 64 bit. It is an Acer Aspire laptop (an older one) where I upgraded the inside HDD to a SSD and it has 8 GB ram and has an intel core I5 M430 and it is connected with USB to an outside Hard drive that is not SSD where my music is on.

It is not connected to internet (I only use it for music playing and don't do anything on it in the meantime) and it doesn't have an antivirus on it (maybe the windows one).

It is connected to my RME ADI DAC by USB and I use ASIO MADIFACE USB as interface.
I play flac files that I ripped with DB poweramp at level 5.

I don't know if my laptop is strong enough or if that is the problem. But it would be nice to know and if not maybe a solution to resolve the problem.

Thanks for reading and hopefully any suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio Freezes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 12:40:43 am »

Please read the Windows Defender thread.  You must  configure it.

The USB drive could also be a factor.  Make sure it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  Try another one.  Power can be an issue with an external USB drive.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 12:41:53 am »

bliman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »

Similar problem:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130408.msg904441.html#msg904441
Hi,
Thanks for the response. Today I totally turned of Windows defender and also switched to WASAPI.
And till now I have had far fewer freezes.
I still had it a few times and a few times when it appeared the music sped up to get to the current position. But all by all today was much and much better. So thanks for the suggestion.
Let's see what the next couple of days bring.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 11:25:35 pm »

Read the thread on Windows Defender.
Pages: [1]   Go Up