INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent white noise from WDM Driver  (Read 1369 times)

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
Intermittent white noise from WDM Driver
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:02:02 pm »

I've used JRiver to route all my audio via WASAPI loopback since this feature has been available & generally speaking it works great. Only intermittently say once every few days any audio from the WDM input becomes just loud digital white noise whenever anything is played, whilst playing audio from within jriver is as per normal. Typically closing and re-opening jriver doesn't fix this but it comes right after I restart my pc.

I'm fairly certain the fault is occurring on the audio input stream as I can see the waveform on the Analyzer dsp. I discovered last night for the first time that this white noise seems to be a product of extreme digital distortion as if the input volume becomes excessively boosted. As by chance at the time I was watching a video in browser when the audio 'glitched' and I realised I could partially fix the problem if I pulled the volume slider attached to the video down to minimum.

I'm running windows 10 on a desktop machine that has an AMD 2700x, 16 GB of ram, SSD, Audio is being output to either a 2 channel usb dac or to an HDMI receiver.
Thanks

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
Re: Intermittent white noise from WDM Driver
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 05:28:53 pm »

I don't know if it helps but I've attached a log file from when it played up again just now.

Also I have a funny feeling this has something to do with windows and the WDM driver itself as I've messed around with all kinds of settings within jriver' in the past. Just now I clicked in and out of configure for JRiver under playback devices in the windows sound control panel & the audio is fine again.

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 03:05:56 pm »

Has anyone got any ideas on this one? I can be playing sound without any issues then on that rare occasion after the audio stream pauses, it's all a distorted mess of static when I resume youtube for example. The quick fix - more of a bandaid solution really is still to open and close 'configure' for the JRiver audio device under windows playback devices.

ToasterPC

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 12:51:59 am »

No new ideas, but can report that even on the latest version of JRiver MC 31 the problem remains, and also, I must thank you for providing a workaround, up until today all I was able to do was reboot the computer.

On my case, the problem's been worsening, but usually I'm able to reproduce it just by putting the computer to sleep, waiting an hour, and then restoring the session.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 07:03:57 am »

Is this only with Youtube?

ToasterPC

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 04:12:59 pm »

In my case it's with all audio that comes from the computer, be it Windows notifications or YouTube/Spotify/TIDAL/etc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 04:22:31 pm »

In my case it's with all audio that comes from the computer, be it Windows notifications or YouTube/Spotify/TIDAL/etc.
And you're using WDM for all of that?

ToasterPC

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 04:29:42 pm »

That's right

ToasterPC

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 11:49:09 pm »

Just reinstalled Windows 11 and the latest release of MC31 but the problem is still present. Is there anything I might try to troubleshoot this issue?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 07:25:25 am »

If it's HDMI, it's probably the video driver.

And it's possible it's NVIDIA power management.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/289540/adaptive-power-management-doesnt-work-anymore/
Pages: [1]   Go Up