INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording on Library Server client without identical server filepaths  (Read 1658 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I know that it is possible to record TV on Library Server clients as long as file paths remain consistent between the server and client devices. However, I'm using a Linux server and Windows client so I cannot keep the paths identical. Is it still possible to record on the Library Server client? I do not care about accessing the recordings on the server. If not possible, are there any good ideas about how to overcome this...filesystem hacks on Linux for SMB shares or something like that so the filesystem naming conventions match?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Recording on Library Server client without identical server filepaths
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 10:01:53 pm »

Can you use UNC on both computers?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 07:29:29 am »

I don't believe this is possible. Assuming I want to access the Windows client shares on the Linux server, I either need to mount them on the filesystem or use smb/cifs FUSE and an smb:// prefix on-the-fly. And the reverse is not possible because then I'm using Linux paths that Windows can't replicate.

I did find this option (NTFS symlinks) that I will tinker with. The slashes may still bite back, however.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 09:26:41 am »

Unfortunately the NTFS symlink approach won't work because MC requires absolute paths for the recording path (with the disk identifier). Looks like I'm stuck.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 04:11:14 pm »

The reason we did not allow clients to record unless there is an identical location name on the server and client is library data integrity. Clients use a copy of server's library.  If a client makes recording, but the server does not have access to it, we would have created bad entries in the library.

I wonder if we could allow the server to have missing entries as long as it does not try cleaning up such.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up