INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surge Protection  (Read 2941 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Surge Protection
« on: August 26, 2021, 08:17:55 am »

This discussion was originally in response to a user who had his tweeters blown out from  power surge.  It was not meant to be a general purpose discussion of surge protectors.  It was moved here by JimH.

Here is the original thread.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130499.0.html

Connect your PC and other equipment to a UPS or surge protector. That should absorb the blackout and keep the power to your PC constant.  A simple surge protected power strip would help, but the UPS is better. You can get one for APC for less than $100.  For extra protection, you can also get a high value surge protector and plug your UPS into that.  Panamax also makes surge protectors/power conditioners for audio/video equipment, without the UPS feature.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-Protector-Back-UPS-BE600M1/dp/B01FWAZEIU/ref=sr_1_3?

https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR4000-Management-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B009MQTC52/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3NRPC2LKFD2GK&dchild=1&keywords=panamax%2Bsurge%2Bprotectors&qid=1629983511&s=electronics&sprefix=panamax%2Celectronics%2C176&sr=1-4&th=1

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Surge Protection
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 05:40:45 am »

If using surge protection ..  remember that it can absorb finite amount of energy ... so need to replace periodically ... 1-2 years or after a known big surge
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 07:17:51 am »

It is certainly good advice to realize that surge protectors have a finite lifespan. I know some recommend replacing surge protectors after a year or two but unless your power is really bad or you have had a real hit, I think that is overly conservative.  Now, if you are using $8 surge protectors, maybe it is OK. But the better ones have lights that tell you if they need to be replaced and, although they may not be 100% accurate, they are pretty good indicators that the unit is still good.  But it is good for people to be aware that the MOVs absorb the spikes and eventually burn out. That is the whole Joule rating - the higher it is the more the unit can absorb. I always try to get ones of 1500 Joules or more. They may cost more, but they also last longer and absorb a big spike better.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 09:20:44 am »

All this is true for the typical surge protectors based on MOVs but there are other types which are not self-sacrificing.  Look into Series-mode surge protectors.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 10:22:08 am »

kal - The only series mode ones I know of are hundreds of dollars and up. Are there any at more reasonable prices?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 11:36:29 am »

I suppose it depends on what you protecting ... if its super duper speakers, amps, power conditioners  it might worth it.

Lightning tends to strike when you are unprotected :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 11:45:27 am »

kal - The only series mode ones I know of are hundreds of dollars and up. Are there any at more reasonable prices?
Yes, they are more expensive but, depending on conditions, they may not turn out that way over time.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 12:28:21 pm »

At those prices, a whole house unit with replaceable modules starts to make sense. Like any kind of insurance, it becomes a philosophy of how much you want to pay for how much protection.  And whether you want permanent units versus replaceable ones.  And how likely you are to have lightning strikes.

Personally, I use APC UPSs for PCs and modems, Panamax power conditioners for major audio and video equipment and simple power strips for satellite TVs. That provides mid level protection and may have to replaced if I get a direct lightning strike. But I also do not get many lightening storms.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 04:57:42 pm »

At those prices, a whole house unit with replaceable modules starts to make sense. Like any kind of insurance, it becomes a philosophy of how much you want to pay for how much protection.  And whether you want permanent units versus replaceable ones.  And how likely you are to have lightning strikes.
Sure.  It's never one size fits all.
In my CT house, I have a whole house unit as well as most of the system on an SMT.  The network stuff is on a UPS (with MOVs) but that stuff is easy to replace.
In my NYC apartment, there are central surge protectors and, although I do not know what type, it's someone else's responsibility.  The power amps are on an SMT and the main components on a UPS with MOVs.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

MikeO

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 01:00:47 am »

I have a salutatory tale !!

My equipment is covered by 2 UPS devices , one for the PC's and another for the audio gear (Mainly because they are geographically distant)

I live in Johannesburg (claimed as the lightening capital of the world) and during the summer we get almost daily lightening storms. No matter how good your protection is the the only way to protect is to isolate from the mains by pulling the plug !! We are not talking mains "ripples" here but vicious spikes.

Several years ago in the days of ADSL, I lost my amp, streamer,  video streamer, router ,switch (ironically not the PC ?) when my neighbour's palm tree took a direct hit . It travelled back down the phone cable , blew the ADSL filter and fried my equipment connected to the network. The mains was isolated at the time !!

I now have optical fibre internet which they claim does not conduct (a big selling point in JHB) BUT I still isolate mains supplies as soon as a storm is obvious, whenever we leave the house and every night. Not surprisingly we also see failures in other electronics eg our dishwasher etc.

Maybe not particularly on topic but a warning none the less , electronic protection is fine but nothing like the "real thing", pull that plug

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 09:05:48 am »

I've seen all kinds of conflicting advice for cable modems. 
So, what works with that main coax in, that does not break your internet connectivity and cable box ?

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

MikeO

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 10:45:06 am »

My modem is not cable. It’s a new fibre optic infrastructure that is right back to a local “switch”

So it’s effectively glass from miles back and hopefully non conducive.

Before that it was ADSL  via the copper phone lines.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 01:14:10 pm »

a whole-house two-phase surge protector with >U$25k 'insurance' costs around $125 installed.  It's a very easy DIY as well.

Take a walk around and note how much of your home infrastructure has embedded electronics and what it would cost in time, effort, and money to replace them.......

MikeO

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:42:10 am »

Joburg storms eat them for breakfast , I have several surge pretention blocks , dead, to show for it

If in doubt pull the plug  >:(

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 08:18:50 am »

So back to the issue of that cable line attached to the cable modem....
Anyone have protection idea for that, or is it not necessary?
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 06:36:54 am »

For what it’s worth - I use two ZeroSurge rack mount surge protectors (20A) for all my electronic needs

https://zerosurge.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Rack-Mount-Series-0819-1.pdf

They were selling for about $500 each; after my PS Audio Dectet with MOV tech failed to protect my $4K DAC it was time to find something better.  These were well reviewed/rated a couple years back and the company provides great technical support if you. have any questions.  These also addressed ground loop issues I had and removed any noise between audio and video equipment on the same line.

https://zerosurge.com

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 12:09:34 pm »

So back to the issue of that cable line attached to the cable modem....
Anyone have protection idea for that, or is it not necessary?

The prevailing advice seems to be to not use any kind of inline surge protector from a power strip. You're just going to lower your signal level, which is more likely to be a problem. Most coax splitters don't even pass DC. There should be a grounding block installed before the primary house splitter, which would shunt voltage from something like a lightning strike to ground.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 12:58:20 pm »

I have a salutatory tale !!

My equipment is covered by 2 UPS devices , one for the PC's and another for the audio gear (Mainly because they are geographically distant)

I live in Johannesburg (claimed as the lightening capital of the world) and during the summer we get almost daily lightening storms. No matter how good your protection is the the only way to protect is to isolate from the mains by pulling the plug !! We are not talking mains "ripples" here but vicious spikes.

I believe that South Florida here in the US is the lightning capitol of the world and is where many manufacturers go to test their products in the real world.  I would agree, however, that unplugging is the best solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up