INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromecast audio ?  (Read 601 times)

moxa

• Recent member
Chromecast audio ?
« on: August 31, 2021, 02:06:46 pm »

Hi;)

I have an old version JRiver. I look for a new version with possibilite to cast. The new version do that ?
If not, a future version ?

Have a nice day.
Alain (France -Bordeaux)
I'm very happy to see you

mkolmar

• Recent member
Re: Chromecast audio ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 05:42:06 pm »

The closest thing, to my knowledge, is to use JRiver's DLNA client, server, and renderer. I was able to play to a smart TV this way. To cast to a Chromecast Audio, I was able to play to BubbleUPnP on an Android phone, and tell BubbleUPnP to play to the Chromecast Audio.

If you want to avoid conversion on-the-fly to MP3, the only reliable way I found was to use Specified Output Format with PCM. Other settings would play to BubbleUPnP in PCM, but Chromecast Audio would get MP3. (That might be affected by a BubbleUPnP setting.)

JRemote (not available) has trouble playing through a whole playlist to Chromecast.

JRemote2 might cast more reliably. But, JRemote2 would always crash on my phone after beginning playback (though Chromecast would continue). This problem has been acknowledged, but I don't know if a fix was released yet. I don't know whether JRemote2 can cast without transcoding to MP3. This would be a good solution if it casts lossless and doesn't crash anymore.

I tried to make MC work with Chromecast Audio a few years ago, and ended up using BubbleUPnP, BubbleUPnP server, and Plex server. This is not without problems, either. Maybe MC as a client running on Raspberry Pi would be better.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 06:33:46 pm »

I have MC playing to a Chromecast Audio using BubbleUPnP running on the PC.  It is pretty reliable.

Here are instructions from Mr. Bubble himself.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,100512.msg714002.html#msg714002

mkolmar

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 01:27:09 pm »

Thanks, dtc, that was a really helpful tip. I installed BubbleUPnP server as a service on the same computer as MC. Chromecast Audio is configured in BubbleUPnP server to have a DLNA renderer. The new zone can be controlled with JRemote. So far, so good with tracks playing and advancing, one after the next.

Would JRemote2 still crash in this case? Or has the crash after casting been fixed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up