INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JR as a media server on PC with 2 ethernet ports  (Read 2052 times)

chrisc

• Junior Woodchuck
Using JR as a media server on PC with 2 ethernet ports
« on: September 05, 2021, 05:34:46 am »

The connection is

Router - switch
1 - PC
2 - TV
3 - Lindemann Limetree Bridge

Been using JRiver as a media server and it works well - all sort options that JR offers are shown on an iPad

Now acquired a computer with 2 ethernet ports
One port is connected to the router
Other port is connected to the Limetree Bridge
DHCP on for the router (computer has address 192.168.88.236)
Manual address for the bridge (192.168.88.237)
Bridge does not see computer
So bridged the two network ports and put in a manual address 192.168.88.236 for it
Now Limetree Bridge can see network
But cannot see music server

There is supposed to be an option to add a device to the bridge, but Windows 10 does not offer it
If music be the food of love, play on

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using JR as a media server on PC with 2 ethernet ports
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 05:51:04 am »

I don't understand the point of that bridge device in this configuration but why aren't you just plugging them both into the router/switch? it's why that device exists after all

chrisc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 07:16:54 am »

The Limetree bridge can accept inputs from a streaming service like Tidal, data from a NAS, USB drive, uses a tablet as a control point and outputs the data to an external DAC via a digital link.  It provides a far superior audio signal than for example the USB output of a PC

The router is in a remote location with a single LAN cable to the room with the audio gear.   There is an Apple Airport which provides a wireless link to an iPad and to the wi-fi input of the Limetree Bridge.  However, the wi-fi link is unable to send some hi-res music (DSD especially) and needs a cable connection.  The connection just seems iffy

Now the (new) PC is attached to this LAN cable and can send video (Netflix, Britbox, etc) to a TV via a HDMI cable.  Its also got its own 8Tb hard disc which has music on it

Seeing it came with 2 LAN ports, I thought of using the second one to connect the Limetree Bridge

I'd like to continue to use JRiver since IMO it by far the best and friendliest interface

I was wondering whether there is a way to specify the IP address JRiver's media server uses

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 07:40:34 am »

... and outputs the data to an external DAC via a digital link.  It provides a far superior audio signal than for example the USB output of a PC
USB is also digital so the claim of "superior audio signal" is questionable.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 07:44:27 am »

I see, you're aware of the WDM driver and don't want to use it because of your preference for connecting to the DAC from the bridge? i.e. run tidal on the PC and route the audio out via the MC WDM driver

simplest and most reliable solution is to buy a cheap switch for the room and use this to feed all devices in the room, a basic 5 port gigabit switch can be had for £10-15 (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PYSNSDD). I'd expect this to be the simple/plug and play solution.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Windows network bridging, as far as I recall it's the sort of thing best avoided but someone else may have better knowledge so will leave them to comment

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 05:26:00 pm »

^
For UPNP / DLNA to work, you will need to have all devices on a flat network, routed by a single router.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

chrisc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 09:06:55 am »

USB is also digital so the claim of "superior audio signal" is questionable.

Maybe I did not express it correctly

Certainly, there is a substantial audible improvement playing music thus:

PC - music stored on NAS - Limetree Bridge - Devialet (DAC and amp)

as opposed to:

PC - music on NAS - USB to Devialet

The clarity and additional detail is immediate.  Many of us have listened to the two in different location, often using different DACs and amps

The NAS is connected to a switch and this in turn connects to the bridge (via a Cat7 cable)
The bridge connects to the Devialet with a co-ax cable
SPDIF via optical is also available and sounds the same, but an optical cable won't handle DSD

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 09:51:03 am »

I am struggling to understand your network setup, to me it looks completely mis-configured.

The "Bridge" I imagine is a Media Bridge (operating at layer 3) and not a Network Bridge (which operates at layer2)?

Your PC has two network ports, both of which need IP addresses, usually the second port is on a different subnet to the first (called multihomed) to allow it to sit on two different networks at once. No two ethernet ports can use the same IP address - it seemed at one point to have both the Bridge and PC on the same address, which would cause huge network issues!. So your PC and Bridge would need three IP addresses in total.

If the two PC ports are on the same network, the PC will randomly choose to use one or the other for each communication, believing they are identical and can both see the whole network - however, only one of these ports is actually connected to the correct network (the one with the router). The PC will be throwing a lot of errors since it believe both ports are on the same network - which they are not. You can't just plug something into one port and expect the PC to turn into an ethernet switch and pass incoming traffic to the other port.

The easiest way to sort this is to forget the second PC ethernet port and plug your bridge into a switch connected to the router.

If you can't do this, the the second port should be on a different network (along with your Bridge e.g. 192.168.10.0/24). However, doing this will have consequences, key of which is DNLA will not work between the Bridge and Router networks, since it uses Broadcasts which are prevented from traversing between subnets. Also you may also need to set up routing tables to manage traffic flow - I am guessing with what you have said so far that this is probably way beyond your level of IT knowledge!

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 11:20:48 am »

Hi Chrisc,

I also don't get the complete picture or idea behind your personal setup.

But in case you're wondering if one could use multiple NIC's along with having MC as library server on the same machine, using them as one DNS, yes would be possible.

In my case I'm using the onboard 1GB and an additional 10GB NIC.
The 10GB as dedicated link between server and Synology NAS (don't have a 10GB router).
This by editing the (Windows) OS host file of this machine.
Don't forget to make sure your MC lib is using only DNS paths. As also to use static IP's.
By doing this both local NIC's, even using a different IP and subnet will using the same DNS.

Again not sure if such is what your looking at.

Best.

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 04:30:53 am »

I have several setups but like Mans, I have one pc with two NICs. One of the NICs is on the network and accesses a Synology NAS and the other connects to my Soulution DAC (as the only client).

However, since the DAC only supports DHCP, I have to run a DHCP server on the PC to provide it with an IP Addresses and use Media Center as a DLNA server.

I can also connect to the DAC via USB. There isn't much difference in sound quality, though curiously a standard network cable doesn't sound as good but it you plug a decent one in it sounds fractionally better than USB. The main issue between the two is DSD, in that over USB it is PCM encoded (DSD over PCM, or DoP). I don't think it was part of the DLNA spec, though many manufacturers support it over ethernet where is usually streams a native DSD. There are electrical and protocol differences between the two (USB uses a direct earth connection between the end points I think, but ethernet tends to use a floating earth to avoid potential difference issues over longer cable runs). But like I say, there really isn't much difference in sound quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up