INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buzzing through speakers when playing videos and volume off [Solved]  (Read 657 times)

Steviewunda

• Junior Woodchuck

I have JRiver installed on a well-specced HTPC, connected to a Denon receiver and TV by HDMI. When I play any video (TV series, Movie, Recorded TV, etc) I get a very noticeable buzzing when it first starts playing - and it's especially noticeable when the volume is low or off. The buzzing doesn't increase with volume level, and is hardly noticeable at normal listening levels. It only happens with JRiver and only with video - music is unaffected. Sometimes the buzzing lessens after a short while - it seems to be loudest when the video first launches, but it doesn't happen at all with VLC or Windows Media Player. All suggestions gratefully received ;-)
Cheers
Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Buzzing through speakers when playing videos and volume off
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 07:32:08 am »

Click on the speaker icon in the upper left corner and try setting JRiver to internal volume.  Make sure the volume is turned up in JRiver.

Steviewunda

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 01:21:27 pm »

MC was already set to Internal volume. I tried other volume options with no change. The buzzing is there even when muted. I have tried other audio devices - Directsound instead of Wasapi, turned off bitstreaming and all DSP functions. The buzzing lessens if I hit ESC to go from full-screen to small screen, and stops completely if I stop playback. It sounds like the 24 frames per second buzz of a movie projector. It's loudest on TV playback, but present on all video types. Any more suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 01:28:11 pm »

I don't think this is a JRiver problem.  Did you try Google?  Or our "Weird Problems" thread (link in my signature).

When you say "Full Screen", Theater View uses 3D drawing.  Is the HDMI port on a video card?

Steviewunda

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 01:47:15 pm »

Yes the HDMI is from a GTX 1080ti. I have tried several HDMI leads. As I said, neither VLC nor Windows Media Player have this problem. They can play back videos which cause buzzing in MC with no buzzing

Steviewunda

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 02:02:54 pm »

I just installed MPC-BE which plays everything without buzzing

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 02:38:05 pm »

Yes the HDMI is from a GTX 1080ti. I have tried several HDMI leads. As I said, neither VLC nor Windows Media Player have this problem. They can play back videos which cause buzzing in MC with no buzzing
That may only mean that the problem occurs with 3D drawing.  Please try a Google search.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 02:47:53 pm »

I just installed MPC-BE which plays everything without buzzing
You said JRiver didn't buzz unless it was full screen, and that may be because it's using 3D drawing.  And that means a video driver problem.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »

That card is known to sometimes  have coil hum and mechanical noise problems. But that would come from the PC, not the speakers.

If it is speaker hum, it may be a ground loop problem. Here is a link to ground loop problems with GTX cards under load.  It discusses various options including breaking the ground to fix the problem.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/3d-vision/41/249476/nvidia-ground-loop-noise-under-load/

Steviewunda

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 07:00:18 pm »

Thanks guys - I have restored an image that was made before the buzzing began, and am buzz-free now. It would have been nice to know what caused it. The image was made only 3 days ago before I made some relatively minor changes to the MC config - and I thought I had reversed those changes when troubleshooting the buzz.
Thanks for the link to the nVidia forum - I'll have a read.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 08:04:08 pm »

It sounds like the changes you made may have put more of a load on the graphics processor. Maybe you should try those changes again one at a time to see if you can reproduce the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up