INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why keep sequal numbers changing?  (Read 879 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
Why keep sequal numbers changing?
« on: September 11, 2021, 06:28:50 am »

From time to time, often but not always, JRiver changes (randomly) the seq.no. when playing an audio album. In my view the change is randomly, but there may be some logic, which beats me. I want to play albums by disk no. - track no. I have to correct this problem every-time with the "Player, Player Now, Update Now" by reordering the track no.'s according to track no. and hit "Update Now". However, next time I try to play the same album the seq. no has been changed again.

How can I correct these issues, i.e, 1) reset all playing order (seq.no.) to be track no. and 2) do this for all albums affected and not one by one album.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why keep sequal numbers changing?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 09:01:33 am »

Do you possibly have "Shuffle" enabled?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 10:15:11 am »

Exactly how are you starting playback?

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 12:16:45 pm »

Do you possibly have "Shuffle" enabled?

Thx, but Shuffle is off.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 12:19:43 pm »

Exactly how are you starting playback?

Just by pushing "Play" on an Album chosen from the Album tab of Recent Albums

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 01:31:40 pm »

In Tools > Options > General > Behavior, take a look at how you have the Play button set.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 04:55:18 am »

It would appear "Automatically Shuffling" tracks sent to Playing Now is an Undocumented Feature of MC.

From the Panes View I selected a Single Album from the top section and told MC to Play it.
In the Panes Detail Panel the tracks for that album were in ascending track order but were in a Randomized Order in the Playing Now Window.
I then grabbed my favourite smartlist, it selects 1 unplayed track from each album, and made a mental note of the 1st 5 tracks in that list before pressing the Play Button.
When I switched to the Playing Now Window none of those 5 tracks were anywhere near the top of the list, nor when I did find them were they in the same order they had been in the smartlist MC had been Instructed to Play without Shuffling It.

I then went back to the smartlist and told it to sort by Album Name within Release Date within Album Artist order and used the Play Command.
When I switched to the Playing Now Window instead of the 10 "10cc tracks" that were at the top of the smartlist  the list in the Playing Now window was in a totally randomised order and after scrolling down over 500 tracks I only found 2 occurrence's of 2 consecutive tracks being by the same Album Artist, and they were both Multi-Artist Compilation Albums.

Incidentally this "let's shuffle everything before sending it to Playing Now may have been going on for ages; as long as that smartlist is getting the right tracks, the fact that they appear to have been automatically randomised didn't really bother me because I normally just right click on the Smartlist's Name in the Tree and use the Right-Click Play Option/Command.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 05:11:26 am »

In Tools > Options > General > Behavior, take a look at how you have the Play button set.

Tried several options, but did not solve the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 07:12:36 am »

Are you certain that shuffle is off?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 07:35:10 am »

Are you certain that shuffle is off?

Yes - Unless there is a mistake in all the Skins I've tried and they are all indicating that it is off when it is on.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 07:36:27 am »

Yes - Unless there is a mistake in all the Skins I've tried and they are all indicating that it is off when it is on.
What happens if you toggle it?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 07:51:04 am »

What happens if you toggle it?

Switching it on moves the track currently playing to the top of a shuffled list, something I don't want to happen as that can result in  individual tracks being heard twice. The very reason why I never switch the thing on. If I wanted the tracks in a smartlist to play in a random order I would tell the smartlist to do it and not the player.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 01:04:27 pm »

It would appear "Automatically Shuffling" tracks sent to Playing Now is an Undocumented Feature of MC.
I have been experiencing this for quite a while now.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 07:18:54 am »

Click the "File" button instead of play.

It should show the files in the exact order the play button will fire in.

If the files aren't in track number order, check that album name, album artist, and other album tags carefully.

Please let me know how you fare.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up