INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying video files to a new hard drive and making them work properly  (Read 443 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe

I am having trouble with my video files after copying them from external USB drives to a NAS.  I copied everything in my Movies folder to a Movies folder on my NAS.  Since then, my cover art/ thumbnails haven't displayed properly, when try to fix my cover art/ thumbnails several movies got deleted from my NAS (separate thread), and now my movies won't play due to some mismatch in the audio output.

When I copy my movies from one storage place to another, should I skip copying the existing sidecar files?  Is a mismatched sidecar causing all these problems?  Will a new sidecar be created when I import new video files (or video files newly copied to my new storage device)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Copying video files to a new hard drive and making them work properly
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 04:49:55 pm »

Please read the wiki topic called "Moving Files".   JRiver can do it.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:55:38 pm »

Oh, my Audio Output Format is:
Output encoding: none
Channels: Source number of channels
Sample rate: below 44.1 -> 44.1, 44.1 and greater: no change
Subwoffer: JRSS Subwoofer (20Hz low pass)

My Audio Device is set to Default Audio Device (Direct Sound)
I know at one time I set my computer to exclusive mode, but I can't find where I did that to confirm it's still set that way. :-/

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 04:59:38 pm »

Please read the wiki topic called "Moving Files".   JRiver can do it.

JimH, thank you for replying.  I know about Move/Copy/Rename, but didn't think to use it when I copied everything over.  At the time, I figured copying all the files and then importing them into my new Library would take care of everything.  I will delete a few things on purpose and try the M/C/R function...

For my own curiosity, do you think it's the sidecar files copied from the USB drives making operation from the NAS wonky?

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »

I think the root of my problem is poor copying.  I think my computer/ NAS got interrupted during the large data transfers.  I am going through my media files now and finding all sorts of weird things.  I am deleting folders from my NAS and the copying from my external USB drives, this time is smaller chunks.  For example, rather than copying my folder "Shows", I am copying "Shows\House".  That seems to be working better.

I tried copying "Movies" today and the transfer got interrupted at "The Pink Panther".  Sure enough movies in my Library from The Pink Panther" on to the end of the alphabet have problems with cover art and missing files.

I guess I will be doing a lot of deleting and recopying over the next few days.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 03:18:46 pm »

I'm going to stop following this thread, even though I started it.  The questions posed here either have been answered, or are being answered in other threads.

Cover art: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130574.0.html
Audio output problems: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125615.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up