INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Buffering" issue on fast switch between songs with identical file names  (Read 411 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe

I think I am describing a reproducible issue.  I have been several months trying to narrow the issues with a "stuck needle in groove" buffering issue.  I often test two music files with the same file name except for they are in different directories.  I am looking for sound quality differences and do a fast switch between files.  I often get about 7 seconds of stuttering (repeat of about 1/2 second long music section) when I do that fast switch and the word "buffering appears underneath the file name (that is the only time I ever see a buffering notice).  Here is when I can get that stuck record sound

1. 2 files of the same name (same song, usually a different bit rate) but in different directories in the player.
2.  Start playing the top file and quickly drag the play pointer to somewhere in the file (the top file is playing)
3.   Then double click on the bottom file to start it.  A significant percentage of the time the stuttering (7 seconds or so when it repeats the same 1/2 second piece of music) happens - maybe 40% of the time.  I cannot get it to happen every time.  It may depend on how fast I click

4. I don't seem to be able to make the stuttering/buffering happen when the file names are NOT the same. (not certain, I just haven't been able to make it happen)
5. I can prevent it from happening by stopping the first song before I double click the second song, but I don't like doing that because then it is harder to compare the music.
6.  I have been doing this approach for years and just started having the problem, possibly with the MC 28, but not really sure. I also switched to a much faster computer, but I am not aware of any changes.  The music is on the computers 2nd hard drive (very fast)

John

jack wallstreet

Re: "Buffering" issue on fast switch between songs with identical file names
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:24:26 pm »

I am still having this irritating problem (buffering for about 5-7 seconds).    I am gathering that no one else has identified a similar issue.  So,  I'll try to get more information and to do more testing about whether it is truly only files with the same name and I'll do more testing on MC 27 vs the current version of MC 28 to more definitively see if it is only MC 28.   
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 02:38:09 pm »

I haven't been able to reproduce this.  If it's just certain files, you could mail them to matt at jriver.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jack wallstreet

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 10:33:13 pm »

Matt,  It is almost any two files that have the same tag artist-album-name.  Apparently not the filename is driving this, but the tag information.  If I make even a one letter change to the song name (with no change in the filename), the buffering stops on a fast switch in songs and it works fine.  Obviously, if you can't reproduce it, I am not giving a good enough description or I have some unique hardware/software configuration.  I'll keep working on getting you better info.  A fast switch without stopping the playing song is how I can tell if one file sounds better than another and have been doing that on MC for years - and suddenly I have a problem.  I'll do more research.  Again, if I stop the song before I switch, I never have a problem.  No need to respond, I'll try to do more research and get you better info.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up