INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Server - Questions About Sleep  (Read 397 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Media Center Server - Questions About Sleep
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:07:24 am »

First off, JRiver is not installed on a true "server".  It is a Windows 10 machine dedicated to JRiver, and set to sleep at 30 minutes. 
When JRiver clients are connected to my server's library (via access key not DLNA), the server will go to sleep while serving music to clients.

I've read through many other posts regarding this, and depending on which posts I've seen (from over a period of many years of posts), it is not clear to me what is expected behavior.
And the behavior seems to differ between format served i.e. TV vs audio.

For example,  is this post the final word on this topic:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=124334.0

Of course easiest solution is to just leave machine on 24 x 7, but that seems unnecessary.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center Server - Questions About Sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 10:51:26 am »

When JRiver clients are connected to my server's library (via access key not DLNA), the server will go to sleep while serving music to clients.

Are your media files located on "server" PC or on NAS?

PS. Leaving computer 24/7 is not as wastesful as it seems. Idle power consumption on modern hardware is tiny.

Sleep/wake cycle is stressful on HDD (spinning up in particular) ... of course you should have proper HDD designed for 24/7 (NAS drives or enterprise drives).
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center Server - Questions About Sleep
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 01:24:30 pm »

Are your media files located on "server" PC or on NAS?
Not a NAS.  "It is a Windows 10 machine dedicated to JRiver, and set to sleep at 30 minutes. "

Thanks for other info, but I really just want to understand how sleep is supposed to work.

"I've read through many other posts regarding this, and depending on which posts I've seen (from over a period of many years of posts), it is not clear to me what is expected behavior."
and included link from JRiver 26
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=124334.0

So, has anything changed since that discussion, or is this current functionality?
It does seem like the only option is to leave the machine on, but I would like to confirm.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up