INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR within Windows 11  (Read 1805 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
HDR within Windows 11
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:44:46 pm »

I have installed Windows 11 on a machine and am running MC 28.0.66 on it. A bit of quirky behavior is present, regarding the way High Dynamic Range and Standard Dynamic Range content is displayed. In brief:  With MC set to Red October HQ, HDR looks correct and SDR looks unwatchably ridiculous. With MC set to Red October Standard, SDR looks correct and HDR looks washed out.

My workaround is to switch between Red October Standard and Red October HQ depending on the content I will watch. But this kind of problem (which is likely caused by the way Win11 handles HDR) deserves a solution, if possible. Windows 11 is not officially released, so no one could expect this to get any sort of priority, but it is likely an issue coming soon...

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDR within Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 03:45:09 pm »

are you perhaps using an nVidia GPU?

you may be experiencing the issue with madVR (used when Red October HQ is used) such that HDR does not always "disengage" when the video playback is stopped.   playing SDR content after HDR content will often (but not 100% of the time) result in HDR being applied and it looks terrible.  Restarting Media Center will correct it; often setting up specific display modes in madVR depending on the content will also alleviate (but not always) fix it for me.

You can by the way also enable HDR in Windows, which will look fine for HDR content using Red October HQ/madVR, but SDR content tends to look washed out as Windows is doing the tone mapping as far as I understand it.

If you do this, and bring up the madVR settings during playback you'll see what HDR is being used: nVidia or OS HDR.  So the issue I suspect is between the nVidia drivers and madVR.  Media Center (and other players have been reported) can't do anything about it.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 04:44:12 pm »

are you perhaps using an nVidia GPU?

Yes. Thanks for this insight.
The curiosity to me is that both SDR and HDR content worked properly for the past several months with this nVidia GPU, and then behaved in the way I described as soon as I updated to Windows 11. Something changed in the OS update.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:17:39 pm »

Another bit of unfortunate weirdness with the video playback in MC within Windows 11:
I used to have frame rate automatically switch to 23.976 fps for movies with that specification, and it worked great. Now, as soon as I switched to Win11, there is horrible stuttering with that kind of playback. I found that by turning off automatic frame rate adjustment (and leaving it at "Desktop Settings" of 59.94 fps all the time), it plays back well and without stuttering.
That's curious.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:29:06 pm »

Another bit of unfortunate weirdness with the video playback in MC within Windows 11:
I used to have frame rate automatically switch to 23.976 fps for movies with that specification, and it worked great. Now, as soon as I switched to Win11, there is horrible stuttering with that kind of playback. I found that by turning off automatic frame rate adjustment (and leaving it at "Desktop Settings" of 59.94 fps all the time), it plays back well and without stuttering.
That's curious.

Stuttering while playing 23 on 59 ... in most cases is not that noticable ... panning shots make this stand out ... so if you looking for stuttering - choose scene with horizontal panning
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 08:33:47 am »

FYI - There is another thread on HDR on W11 in the PC's and Other Hardware forum that might be useful.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 03:22:29 pm »

FYI - There is another thread on HDR on W11 in the PC's and Other Hardware forum that might be useful.

Thank you very much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up