INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 28, may or may not have updated? Help needed  (Read 647 times)

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 28, may or may not have updated? Help needed
« on: September 24, 2021, 02:05:50 am »

Hi Guys,
I updated to MC28 on Windows 10 64bit a while ago and had thought I have been using MC 28 trouble free, now I am not so sure?
Whilst removing a different programme I noted that I have both MC 27 and 28 installed on my PC, checked the Program Files folder and both are listed.
MC 27 has 2,913 files and is 180mb
MC 28 has 2,916 files and is 181mb, I know I have installed more than 3 files since the install date of 26th August 2021.

When I open JRiver and go to the Help - About, it tells me that I am using v27.0.85, if I click on updates it tells me that a paid version of 28 is available.

When I open my back up folder there are the Library Backup folders for both versions, however there are no backup's for MC 28.
Do I assume therefore that MC 28 is installed but not being used?
I would appreciate some help to get MC 28 up and running.
Cheers
Dr.Funk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 28, may or may not have updated? Help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 07:26:43 am »

Pay attention to the shortcut you're using to start MC.  It has the version number. 

You could delete the MC27 shortcut from your desktop.

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:41:52 am »

Thanks JimH, as simple as that!

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 09:51:57 pm »

Hi Guys,
I thought all was good with the simple change of icon version, apparently not so?
After changing the version of the icon and running it from there, I was presented with my working version of MC 28.

Since then, after a PC reboot or two I am presented with a black screen and the message, " The web browser engine is not working properly. Please retry the website, or download and install the latest version of Media Center".

I tried  a fresh install from the Download Page, because I am already running the latest version, v28.0.66.
If I click on any of my Audio Libraries, Albums, Artists etc everything loads correctly.
Do I have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 08:10:01 am »

Hi Guys,
I thought all was good with the simple change of icon version, apparently not so?
After changing the version of the icon and running it from there, I was presented with my working version of MC 28.
You should not try to change the desktop shortcut.  Installing MC28 should put a new one there.  But it sounds like you've got that working now.
Since then, after a PC reboot or two I am presented with a black screen and the message, " The web browser engine is not working properly. Please retry the website, or download and install the latest version of Media Center".

I tried  a fresh install from the Download Page, because I am already running the latest version, v28.0.66.
If I click on any of my Audio Libraries, Albums, Artists etc everything loads correctly.
Do I have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Why don't you uninstall any old versions of MC now?

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 07:36:21 am »

Hi JimH,
I have not uninstalled the old 27 version because the v28 is not, as yet, stable.
As I said when I open MC 28 I get, a black page with " The web browser engine is not working properly. Please retry the website, or download and install the latest version of Media Center".
I don't know what it means by retry the website, I am not trying to load a website? Obviously I had downloaded and installed the latest version.
I did not leave the 'old' icon on my PC, the new update of MC 28 did not uninstall the old icon, so when I had updated I had assumed the icon (which looked the same, no number attached) was updated too.
Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 07:52:10 am »

MC28 is definitely stable.  The black screen could be a video driver problem.  It's not MC.

In Control Panel > System, make sure your OS is 64 bit.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you install the 32 bit version of MC.

JimH

• Administrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up