INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying Empty String Clears Clipboard  (Read 354 times)

sarcanon

• Recent member
Copying Empty String Clears Clipboard
« on: September 25, 2021, 05:01:10 pm »

Here's some weird behavior that some might consider a bug, observed on Windows 10 using v. 28.0.66:

While editing in the Tag area (and perhaps in other editable areas, but I've not made an exhaustive survey), if you hit Control-C to copy when there is no selected text, the existing contents of the clipboard is cleared. For perfect 100%-accurate typists this not an issue, EXCEPT, when, as I often do, you did intend not to type Control-C, but rather Control-V (Paste). I inadvertently do this more frequently than I care to admit, and have to go back and re-copy the text I had originally copied.

The HIG going back to the first version of the Mac OS provide that when there is no current selection, the Copy command should do nothing. And I would contend that "doing nothing" includes NOT clearing the clipboard contents.

Not a huge deal, of course, but it would save me from my all too frequent fat-fingering.

Thanks for your consideration!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Copying Empty String Clears Clipboard
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 08:11:20 am »

If nothing is selected in the Action Window, the selection will be on a file list.

If you're in details mode it copies text like this:
Name   Artist   Lyrics   Last Lyrics Lookup   Album   Date   Date Imported   Track Transition   Soloists   Track Transition Duration   Secure Rip   Audio CRC   Sample Rate   My Expression   Media Type   Composer   Comment   Album Artist   Rating   Genre   Track #   Duration   Bitrate   File Type   Filename
Some Nights (Intro)   Fun.      no lookup   Some Nights   2012   6/14/2021 7:11 am         -1      0xB8892346   44.1 kHz   60133860   Audio         Fun.   ? stars   Alternative Rock   1   2:17   1388   ape   D:\Data\Media\Music\Purchased HDTracks\Fun\Some Nights\Some Nights (Intro).ape

If you're in thumbs, it copies an empty string.

I could make it not replace the clipboard with an empty string.  It's kind of a corner case so I don't feel strongly.

Let me know.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up