INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What can be removed  (Read 864 times)

main user

• Recent member
What can be removed
« on: September 26, 2021, 09:47:21 am »

I have such a simple question. I use JRiver only to output sound through an external DAC. The network is disconnected. Is it possible to remove "unnecessary" folders and files from the program without consequences (I do not need in principle) - Skins ->Theater View, TV, Visualizations?
What's vital in the Data and Stores folders?
Please do not answer the question with a question - why do this (i have already been answered in a similar way). The question is whether it is possible (but not necessary)! :-)

P.S. Naturally, I deleted the "unnecessary" language files for me and a bunch of standard heavy skins that I did not need.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What can be removed
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 01:27:27 pm »

Why are you doing that?  It's risky.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 01:52:22 pm »

Why are you doing that?  It's risky.

:) I was thinking that, but saw
Please do not answer the question with a question

My answer to the original question would be "Don't delete any files or folders, if you have a problem with storage space get a bigger hard disk"

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 06:59:22 pm »

The 'consequences' will be that the deleted files will all be re-written whenever MC does an update, so it is only a viable approach if you:

a) Don't update or create a process to re-delete the files you have defined as 'unnecessary' following an update.

b) Are competent to identify what an 'unnecessary' file is in your use case context.

c) Can provide your own support for your customized version of MC.

d) Enjoy engaging in activities that are challenging but yield no practical benefit other than saving a very small amount of disc space.......

Points a, b & c are why JimH has warned that this approach is 'risky', point d is in agreement with Richard Martin's answer to your question.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

main user

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 12:46:47 am »

Updates are disabled for me. I never turn on auto-updates in any program (only I decide if I need to update)
It's not about small disk space. I just don't like anything "superfluous" in the software (which I don't use at all)
Everything works stably. I do not use any functions and wallpapers, except for audio output. :-)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 01:46:39 am »

Updates are disabled for me. I never turn on auto-updates in any program (only I decide if I need to update)
It's not about small disk space. I just don't like anything "superfluous" in the software (which I don't use at all)
Everything works stably. I do not use any functions and wallpapers, except for audio output. :-)

Thanks for clarifying what your issue is, I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavour to rid your MC installation of it's annoying superfluity.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 12:52:22 pm »

Why would you want to risk stability for some nebulous "benefit"? Removing components from software that wasn't designed with that modularity in mind will, at best, introduce unknown behavior that, by definition, cannot guarantee stability and is more likely to cause those same issues you're hoping to avoid.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 12:34:58 pm »

Typical audiophile behavior, don't try to find a rationale  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up