INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client-as-a-zone Video Settings not same as client's own settings  (Read 559 times)

pepar

• World Citizen
Client-as-a-zone Video Settings not same as client's own settings
« on: September 26, 2021, 01:29:23 pm »

unRAID content server, Intel NUC7i3 as MC Library Server and m-ITX w/10th Gen i3 for the client in my home theater. All of this works perfectly. Audio is bitstreamed to Emotiva XMC-1 and @fitbrit helped set up MadVR that passes through the Emo to my JVC front projector. I play content by controlling Media Center with BT mouse/keyboard.

Am trying to set up JRemote so I can have a more elegant process, i.e. reserve the mouse/keyboard for Windows/PC stuff. I added the Client as a Zone on the MC Server and began setting Audio and Video settings. No problems with Audio and I remembered the Video settings .. thinking I would screencap the MadVR settings on the Client and duplicate them on the Server's Client Zone setup.

I thought I had it sussed until I noticed that 23HZ and 24Hz were not options for 23.976Hz and 24Hz video content; 25Hz was the closest. I'd guess I have some setting .. somewhere .. not correct.

Thoughts?

What would be really handy would be to have the Client device simply use it's A/V settings when being used as a Client or a Library Server Zone.
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: Client-as-a-zone Video Settings not same as client's own settings
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 03:37:56 pm »

Another update .. I did screencaps of the MadVR and other video settings on my client for it's playback when pulling content from the Library. I then went to the MC Library Server and right-clicked on the "Home Theater" client/zone and selected playback settings.

I now suspect that the settings that I am accessing that are to be for the client/zone device and it's A/V system are actually for the Server. Both the server PC and the client PC use Intel HD Graphics but the server is attached to an Asus display not a pre/pro and projector. But the device showing as purportedly for the Client PC is the Asus display. (MadVR also shows the Asus.) This would perhaps explain why 23Hz/24Hz is not available as an option.

I am stumped ...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 01:13:04 pm »

On the client, you want to make sure that you are playing a local copy if the path to the video file is the same as that on the server. That will avoid any video or audio conversion.
The settings on the client are then the only ones you need to worry about. Can you confirm in Windows what refresh rates your ASUS monitor is capable of?

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 03:08:33 pm »

Thanks. Yes, I want the same bitstreamed audio and nativeframe rate whether I play a file on the client or push one to it from the Server. I will check the refresh of the Asus ...

Why are there settings available when configuring a zone (on the Library Server) if they are superfluous?

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 04:39:47 pm »

On the client, you want to make sure that you are playing a local copy if the path to the video file is the same as that on the server. That will avoid any video or audio conversion.
The settings on the client are then the only ones you need to worry about. Can you confirm in Windows what refresh rates your ASUS monitor is capable of?
I confirm that the refresh rates offered when configuring my Home Theater Zone on my Library Server are the setting of the Asus display attached to the Library Server PC and NOT the refresh rates of the front projector attached to the Home Theater client itself. So, apparently none of the Zone configuration settings shown on my Server as the Home Theater Zone's settings actually are that zone's settings. Why is that?

That'd be swell if the zone's settings takes the settings of the underlying playback system; that's what I'd expect or at least suggest as how it functions. But that is certainly not what all of the guidance on the forum is.

Is there another setting that enables the ability to configure the zone?

I will get a chance this evening to use JRemote to have the Server play through the Home Theater Zone and will be able to see what my pre/pro is receiving.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 10:39:40 pm »

I discovered that the “Home Theater” zone I set up on the Server was unnecessary; when connected to the Server, JRemote listed it as well as one called the MC client Windows PC name. I selected that in JRemote and verified my content’s audio was bitstreaming to my pre/pro. The tweaked MadVR processed video quality was as superb as it was when I “played” a movie on the client directly. Finally, all of my MC snags behind me and can enjoy my theater!
Pages: [1]   Go Up