INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play que in split view  (Read 1066 times)

tvrgeek

• Recent member
Play que in split view
« on: October 13, 2021, 04:42:03 am »

First time here so my syntax may be why search did not help.
Anyway, I use a touch screen dedicated music server. I have been suffering with the Windows Media Player because it is the only UI that makes sense to me, almost.    ( Never mind stability issues, it losing track of metadata etc)

Here is what I want to do.  Split pane view.   Left pane selectable from the list on the far left. Great. Happy.
But I love the right pane to be a temporary play list.  I do not want to make up preset play lists.  I never really know what I want to hear until I walk up to the PC.  I just drag the skin over. No mouse, no keyboard, no touch bad.

I virtually only play full CDs. Can't think of ever playing individual tracks. Big plus for JRiver as Microsoft "genre" gives details, not just the skins so I have to scroll to find the CD.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Play que in split view
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:43:56 pm »

I think you want Playing Now in your right hand pane.  It's what is currently playing.

The wiki might help for terminology.

Or ...

If you click on Audio > Artists, you can then click on an artist to get their Albums.

tvrgeek

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 01:30:34 pm »

Well, out of luck.  I had it on the PC a few months ago to play with and got nowhere so I deleted it.   Now I have no trial time.  Guess I'll never know. Maybe I can use my wife's e-mail.

WMP allows me to touch screen just drag skins to the right. Simple. No mouse, no keyboard, no searching or anything ahead of time. But of course it goes through the Windows resampling and mixer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »

If you want MC to provide the same interface as WMP, you're probably not going to succeed.  There are several ways to use MC without a keyboard or mouse.  Take a look at the wiki topic called "Remotes".  Start with Panel.

Use a different machine to get a new trial.

tvrgeek

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 07:39:08 am »

I am back trying to get JRiver to work intuitively for me.  I tried MusicBee and got the UI better, but it hangs, looses covers, and had skips playing files that play fine in JRiver. Never got a "clear que" button.

When I  double click on a cover I get details. I want it to play, that's why I clicked on it!  Not give me a drop down or make me go to the upper left and hit play.
I want to see what is in the que. I want to be able to clear the que. Using the drop down, I can add to the que, but it remains invisible.

Is JRiver assuming I am using a phone or something to control it?  Or people looking for individual songs?  I play entire CDs, or lists of CDs as my mood suggests. No preset lists. I run one server from my desk where I spend too much time and another "house" touch screen as my main stereo. That is the one my wife would like to use, but JRiver so far is way too non-intuitive.  WMP is FAR more intuitive to use. No mouse or keyboard needed to drag a days worth of music to the que and walk away.  It just sounds poor and also messes up the library occasionally.  I will pay for a product, but it needs to work.

All the extra stuff, streaming, video, pictures may be fine, but of no use to me.  The "associated" artists may be handy in finding new music to buy. I do use the EQ as my desktop has a huge peak @ 115 Hz.  I want a MUSIC server with the highest sonic quality to play my ripped CDs.  It is an appliance. Any end user UI that is not totally intuitive is a failure and I would never have let my team ( I was a program manager) develop a UI where the user needed training or even documentation.  If you know what you want to do, the UI should be obvious how to do that. Fancy 3D images are fun, but add them after the basics.

Left pane is fine. Full of junk I don't need, but OK.
Right can show albums, genre, artists. Fine.  But PLAY when I select one. I don't want the view as selected from the left pane to change.
Now I want a pane, right, left, bottom, wherever, with the que.  It can show up on the bottom but is so short as to be useless and it keeps changing to the last cover I added. The right pane in WMP is long enough to be useful.
I want to clear the que.   One simple button. Not find a track and select what is below.
It should offer the option to clear the queue when I start it. I don't care what I played yesterday.

I did finally find enough info to get working in WASAPI, exclusive, asynchronous. Knowing that is what I wanted was the hard part.  Got both my JDS and Topping to run under ASIO, but alas, the Schiit just does not like it. Big sonic improvement which is why I am not running WMP to start with.

Very frustrated. WIKI and FAQ have so far been useless.  If JRiver can't support this simple functionality, anyone know of a product that does? Foobar is even worse. Never succeeded in getting past text only. I askes some salesmen who were demonstrating amps to me using JRiver, but they only used their phone to fine a couple of "demo" tracks. They knew no more than I.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 07:47:20 am »

Never got a "clear que" button.

If this is in reference to JRiver, you can add a "Clear Playing Now" button to the top or bottom toolbars.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 11:15:57 am »

Tools > Options >General>Behavior.

Pages: [1]   Go Up