INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to turn Pop-Ups off please  (Read 1939 times)

lhwidget

• World Citizen
How to turn Pop-Ups off please
« on: October 17, 2021, 05:35:20 pm »

I've seen several posts without enough description to fully describe this;  How do you turn these pop-ups off?  They really get in my way when I'm scrolling through lists.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to turn Pop-Ups off please
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:20:49 pm »

Search for tooltips in MC's options.  Search window at the bottom.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 08:09:13 pm »

Thanks Jim

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 07:40:54 pm »

I've turned off tooltips and they just keep poping up.  Any other ideas?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:12:56 pm »

I hate to be that guy, and you probably already did this, but...  make sure you fully exit MC after changing this option, including the media server.  Check task manager just in case to make sure there are no extra instances running.  If there are, kill those too.  After that, audio, image and movie info pop-ups should cease on your next MC launch.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »

After that, audio, image and movie info pop-ups should cease on your next MC launch.
Does it also kill pop-ups in TV listings though?

From the screenshot, it would appear to be where the annoyance is originating from. I do not use TV so cannot confirm.

-marko

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 11:36:52 pm »

Hey Marko, I noticed that too, but I also don't use the TV functionality. I would not be surprised if channel info pop-ups were excluded from the setting.

I personally like the track info pop ups.  What I hate are all those "tip" popups for the most obvious things... text popups for "next, previous, stop, play, pause" when you hover for a half a second over those buttons in the player bar.  I mean seriously, we specifically downloaded a media player to play... well, media... and those media control buttons are about as ubiquitous as anything can be in our digital lives.  I would love to see those removed.

But those are not so bad, because at least you have to hover for 1/2 second or so.  The car radio buttons however, popup instantly upon mouse hover... how many time do I need to see "click to play [name of tab], hold down to overwrite with the current playlist" before I get it?  Don't get me wrong, I love the car radio tabs and use them all the time... I just hate that the tab name is instantly covered up by a tool tip.

So, in addition to JRiver addressing your issue with TV channel info pop-ups, can you guys please add another setting to turn-off the general tool tips I described above?  Or at least add a delay to the car radio tab tip popup to tone down the annoyance?

Like I said above, I do like the track info popups and would like to keep them on, but would love the option to turn off all the other tool tips.  The ability to turn off tool tips, even 1 specific tip at a time, is common in other programs.  I mean, having used the program for a decade and a half, I'd like to think I got a pretty good handle on it by now  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 08:17:00 am »

I'll make a way to turn all tooltips off for a coming build.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopefully I can figure out how to stop playback once I turn them off for testing :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 07:20:47 pm »

Awesome Matt, thank you!  I have full confidence that even without the "stop" tool-tip (on the stop button) to guide you, you'll figure out to "stop playback";D   That is the point though, right? Even the newest of newbies knows how to work media control buttons... in any program... immediately... without tool tips!

That said, your reply is somewhat ambiguous.  Are you going to make the existing setting toggle on/off the track-info popups AND all the tool tips I mentioned? Or will you be making a new additional setting dedicated to toggling just tool tips display?  My desire is definitely the latter.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 06:57:21 am »

I'll make a way to turn all tooltips off for a coming build.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopefully I can figure out how to stop playback once I turn them off for testing :)

Thanks for looking Matt.  Any advice for my problem?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 07:24:41 am »

Thanks for looking Matt.  Any advice for my problem?

Please test once the new build is out, then follow up if you still have issues.  Thanks.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 09:14:29 am »

Please test once the new build is out, then follow up if you still have issues.  Thanks.

Thanks Matt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 10:54:15 am »

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 11:00:45 am »

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 01:50:38 pm »

v28.0.78 - turned tool tips OFF, still getting pop ups in Television standard view.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 10:43:00 pm »

I can't speak to the TV info pop up, but 28.0.078 takes care of all those annoying popup tool tips. I can finally see the car radio tab without the tab text being blocked by the tool tip - thank you so much Matt!  I really like how you implemented the multiple options into one setting... very nice. 

For others, hopefully the TV info popups will get resolved soon as well.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 10:49:05 pm »

v28.0.78 - turned tool tips OFF, still getting pop ups in Television standard view.

Not sure about other pop-ups, but it worked on Audio files.  Didn't work for TV file lists.

I'm running Win 7 Pro, I uninstalled MC, then installed 28.0.78.  Made the setting in Options, then stopped MC28 and tried after restating MC28, no joy.

I just realized something.  I've been saying TV, but I really mean in the Television Directories.  Sorry about that (if it matters).

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 11:11:31 pm »

I have two more things you could try, which maybe you have already, but did not mention in your last message. 

1) First... what I already mentioned in a previous post: fully exit MC after changing the option, including the media server.  Check task manager just in case to make sure there are no extra instances running.  I have found that any setting that requires you to exit MC before it takes affect, always requires a complete exit from MC Server too... don't skip this step.

2) If the above does not work, try unchecking TV in the general/features setting, and then fully exit/check task manager again as noted in item 1.  Launch MC, add the TV feature back-in. If the popup still persists, then exit MC per item 1) and re-launch one last time. 

If after all that the popup still shows, I don't know what else to suggest... I have exhausted my meager knowledge.  Good luck!

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 03:10:01 pm »

Updated all machines to v28.0.80 and the issue in Television standard view is resolved.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 08:45:05 pm »

Updated all machines to v28.0.80 and the issue in Television standard view is resolved.

Just now realized I had not tried this.  It works for me too!!!

Thanks Matt, very much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up