INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCM greater 96Khz and DSD greater 2.8Mhz(64) not working  (Read 745 times)

hskramer

PCM greater 96Khz and DSD greater 2.8Mhz(64) not working
« on: October 21, 2021, 10:10:02 pm »

I have a HTPC with win 10 pro the very latest build 19043.1288 with the Ifi iDSD dac connected via a usb 3.0 port.  I'm using the Ifi provided USB-HD audio ASIO driver version 3.2. it came pre-installed with the 2.08 firmware (I was surprised to see this).  I selected this driver in JRiver and made it the windows default.  It will only play pcm files up to 96Khz after that I get "playback could not be started on the output ASIO using the format 192Khz 2ch". It does this for all rates greater than 96Khz.

The other problem is DSD I can play native DSD64 and the display shows 2.8Mhz and the usb displays the proper bit rate but I can't play any 2X, 4X natively. How can it send 2.8M samples of DSD but not the pcm with a significantly lower rate.  I know it's a different protocol but still PCM 98Khz won't work but DSD 2.8M does.  DSD256 gives the error "the ASIO does not support the format DSD128 (x2) 2ch, the "ASIO device by Ifi USB-HD Audio does not support sample rate 705600 Hz". It sounds like the driver is not fully compatible with this version of windows. I have been working on it for two days and have read everything I can. Prior to this I was using a Rega Dac-R which supported 192Khz audio files using the XMOS driver. I have uninstalled this and cleaned the registry with several tools and then by hand.

I'm not using DoP it's set to use the Ifi ASIO driver I have output encoding set to None and enabled DSD bit streaming as suggested in the post by Sky King and responded to by Awesome Donkey on August 11, 2021.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: PCM greater 96Khz and DSD greater 2.8Mhz(64) not working
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 12:20:22 pm »

You might want to read ifi's description of DoP versus native DSD.  It explains how they pack their DSD into PCM even for native DSD. They do it at half the sample rate of DoP.  It doesn't explain your problem, but it tells you why they may be reporting what seems like a PCM error for native DSD.

https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/dop-versus-asio-native-what-are-the-differences-similarities/

I would suggest trying WASAPI rather than ASIO just to see if the higher sample rate issue is an issue with their driver or something else.

Does the Windows Control Panel allow you to test shard mode with the higher sample rates? I would try with both ASIO and WASAPI.

Also, although it does not make sense, plugging usb 2 devices into a usb 3 port somethings causes problems. So, try a usb 2 port if you have one.

No answer, but some things to try.

hskramer

Re: PCM greater 96Khz and DSD greater 2.8Mhz(64) not working
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:40:14 pm »

Everything is working all solved thank you for the support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up