INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prevent MC from importing anything other than audio files?  (Read 1269 times)

Striker

• World Citizen
Prevent MC from importing anything other than audio files?
« on: October 23, 2021, 12:30:36 pm »

Is there a way to prevent MediaCenter from importing anything other than audio files?

Sometime when importing a folder, but only sometimes, some jpg files will be imported while ignoring other jpg files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Prevent MC from importing anything other than audio files?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 03:57:19 pm »

Check your settings in auto import.

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 05:03:41 pm »

Check your settings in auto import.

Jim, I've looked before and I looked again today.  I simply cannot find anything that gives control to what MC will import.

And it's not even consistent.  Today I selected 5 dirs in Windows Explorer for import, all had flac and jpg files in them.  MC imported just 2 of the jpg files and all of the flac files.  I'd like to eliminate any importation of any files which are not audio files.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 05:11:27 pm »

Are you using Autoimport or manually importing a single folder (and it's sub folders)?
If it's a single folder what options are you selecting in the dialog that allows you to select the type of files to be imported?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 05:19:07 pm »

Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Configure auto-import
Select an import folder
Click EDIT button.
In the 'Import these file types' tree check only the files types you wish to import and make sure that the Option 'Ignore special files (folder.jpg etc)' is checked.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 05:45:45 pm »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

Auto Import is near the bottom.  Better to import from within MC.

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 05:54:54 pm »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

Auto Import is near the bottom.  Better to import from within MC.

I've found that config option.  I don't want to do Auto-Import, I want to be in full control of what folders I choose to import and I'd like to control what types of files are imported when I use the right click import option from Windows Explorer.

Feature request?

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 06:00:13 pm »

When I get new music I create a folder for it appropriately named and move that folder to the drive where I keep all my audio files.  Then I right click on the folder to MediaCenter->Import it...  then I meticulously tag and re-tag it to match my tagging rules.  There is usually a folder.jpg in those folders I want to import... but I don't want any non-audio files imported.

If the option to import from Windows Explorer can't be limited to file types... why have it?

Feature request?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 06:27:13 pm »

If you want to use Windows Explorer, you probably need to select exactly what you want to import.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 07:07:25 pm »

I've found that config option.  I don't want to do Auto-Import, I want to be in full control of what folders I choose to import and I'd like to control what types of files are imported when I use the right click import option from Windows Explorer.

Feature request?

Try using "Import Single Folder."
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 07:11:04 pm »

Try using "Import Single Folder."

Thanks, but I dont' find that option, and if it's in "options" then it does not help me with importing a folder using Windows Explorer -> MediaCenter -> Import.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 11:31:34 pm »

Currently the only way you can do what you want is to open the folder containing the files you wish to import, then select the files you want and ensure the files you don't want aren't selected. Then right click and Media Center>Import.

Selecting entire folders will import every file contained within the folder and any files in sub folders.

It may be easier to open a folder and then select the files you DON'T want and then 'Invert selection' in Explorer, then right click and Media Center>Import.

Of course you can request a change to the way Shell Integration works but I don't think it is something that has been heavily requested by other users.

My own approach is to leverage the power of 'Auto-import' by 'watching' a top level folder but switch off 'Run auto-import in background' and then add a new folder of files as a sub folder of my 'watched' folder and then manually run Auto-Import from the Tools>Import menu. All the the nice features and complete control.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

macdonjh

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 08:46:31 am »

Thanks, but I dont' find that option, and if it's in "options" then it does not help me with importing a folder using Windows Explorer -> MediaCenter -> Import.

Rather than using Windows Explorer, perhaps try using tools within Media Center.  After you've ripped or otherwise saved your new music, use File -> Library -> Import -> Import Single Folder.  When you click through that list, you'll see this pop-up:

As you can see, you can choose which types of files will be imported.  Execute the Import to add your new music to your Library.  Do all your tagging to get things the way you want.  Then, use Tools -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move, Copy to update your Library, name your music files according to the way you've tagged them, and put them in the folders and sub-folders you want.

macdonjh

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 08:58:14 am »

Oh, and, once you get to that pop-up when using File -> Library -> Import -> Import Single Folder, if you click on one of the file types, you'll get a drop-down list you can use to select the formats you want Media Center to import and others you want MC to ignore when importing.  For example, for audio files, you can check boxes to allow MC to import .wav, .flac, .mp3 and leave boxes for .aiff, .alac unchecked so MC will ignore those.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 09:16:03 am »

Perhaps you should reconsider using Windows Explorer when there is a better solution available.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 09:40:43 am »

Perhaps you should reconsider using Windows Explorer when there is a better solution available.

I object to the word "better".  There is a best way for me, others have a different "best way".

Using MC ShellIntegration... I am in control of imports and when they occur, and I know what has been imported and I have the immediate opportunity to tag/reTag as required without searching... Using "auto import"... was what I imported, imported as "Eric Clapton" or "Clapton, Eric"... meaning I have to search around to find and complete the tagging to match my tagging style.

I have no doubt that if we sampled 10 MediaCenter users our MC displays would all look different, that is part of the power and draw of MediaCenter.  There is no best way for all users.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 10:42:24 am »

I object to the word "better".  There is a best way for me, others have a different "best way".

Using MC ShellIntegration... I am in control of imports and when they occur, and I know what has been imported and I have the immediate opportunity to tag/reTag as required without searching... Using "auto import"... was what I imported, imported as "Eric Clapton" or "Clapton, Eric"... meaning I have to search around to find and complete the tagging to match my tagging style.

I have no doubt that if we sampled 10 MediaCenter users our MC displays would all look different, that is part of the power and draw of MediaCenter.  There is no best way for all users.

If you do not like auto-import (I do not use it) then you can use the option to import a single folder.  With that option, you can specify what file types to import.  It will import the folder and any sub-folders, just like the Explorer option. You cannot specify individual files to import, but since you can select the file type(s) to import that should be adequate.  And you can re-tag before importing or automatically for specific fields as needed.

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 10:49:50 am »

If you do not like auto-import (I do not use it) then you can use the option to import a single folder.  With that option, you can specify what file types to import.  It will import the folder and any sub-folders, just like the Explorer option. You cannot specify individual files to import, but since you can select the file type(s) to import that should be adequate.  And you can re-tag before importing or automatically for specific fields as needed.

I don't want to have to change MC options every time I get a new album to point to that folder.

And I don't want MC running background tasks scanning a dir tree periodically for "changes".

Most times I simply select the audio files I want to import in Windows Explorer and use the shell integration "Import" to import them.

Sometimes I get more than one album from the same artist and I simply select all the folders and import... that's when I get the jpg files imported too and I have to remove them.

I can live with it the way it is... and work around it.  I was just hoping the MC developers would expand the functionality of the shell integration to allow control of what is imported.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 11:57:40 am »

I don't want to have to change MC options every time I get a new album to point to that folder.

And I don't want MC running background tasks scanning a dir tree periodically for "changes".

Most times I simply select the audio files I want to import in Windows Explorer and use the shell integration "Import" to import them.

Sometimes I get more than one album from the same artist and I simply select all the folders and import... that's when I get the jpg files imported too and I have to remove them.

I can live with it the way it is... and work around it.  I was just hoping the MC developers would expand the functionality of the shell integration to allow control of what is imported.

Have you tried the Import a Single Folder option?   Yes it is different than what you are doing, but not that much different. But, it does not have background tasks running and the only thing you need to change each time is the folder to import. And it will exclude file types you do not want.  But, if you have two folders at the same level you do need to do them separately. But the flexibility to exclude file types and change tags before you import may be worth it.

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 12:05:32 pm »

Have you tried the Import a Single Folder option?   Yes it is different than what you are doing, but not that much different. But, it does not have background tasks running and the only thing you need to change each time is the folder to import. And it will exclude file types you do not want.  But, if you have two folders at the same level you do need to do them separately. But the flexibility to exclude file types and change tags before you import may be worth it.

Thank you for the idea.  But seriously.... going into MC Options *EVERY* time I import a different folder is way more work than using Windows Explorer.

Maybe MediaCenter could add an option for the shell integration Windows Explorer Import, adding ImportSpecial to Import and then have a config section where the file types for ImportSpecial are specified.  That would be way cool.

I am a audio only user from way back when it was MediaJukebox. 

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 12:15:53 pm »

Thank you for the idea.  But seriously.... going into MC Options *EVERY* time I import a different folder is way more work than using Windows Explorer.

Tools - Import does not seem like a lot of work, unless you have a lot of folders at the same level to import. In general it seems easier to me than searching for and deleting a bunch of unwanted files,  but that is up to you.

Shell Import is not an area that the developers spend a lot of time improving, but I guess it is possible they will change it.

The better approach may be to change Tools - Import to handle multiple folders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up