INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapped a network drive, I need an efficient way to remove files from my Library  (Read 622 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe

Here's an unexpected problem: I got my NAS set-up and working, installed MC28 on another computer at the house, restored my main Library and Imported.  There were some problems, I think because the Library I restored was looking for files in:

S:\Multimedia\[media folders]

But I hadn't mapped that network folder yet.  So I mapped the my NAS on the new computer and Imported again.  Now I have two copies of every file in my Library:

NAS\Multimedia\[media folders]
S:\Multimedia\[media folders]

I'm sure I could delete my Library, then restore it and Import again.  Is there another way to remove all the files with the NAS\Multimedia path from my Library?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You may need to configure Auto Import.

You can select files by searching for NAS, for example, and soft deleting them.  Read carefully.  Try a few before you continue.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid

Just type "NAS\Multimedia" in the search box and delete everything that shows.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

This is not the answer to your current problem but more a 'how to avoid the problem' which may help other users.
When changing volume identifiers like you have done by going from a network node name to a mapped local drive letter the procedure should be:

Turn off Auto-import temporarily - Uncheck 'Run auto-import in background' in Auto-import settings.
Create the new volume id (either mapping network drive or copying files to new volume).
Select all the affected files in your library then Use the 'Rename, Move & Copy files' tool with the option 'Update database to point to new location' and then check 'Find and Replace'. In the dialog 'Find what' enter name of old volume e.g 'NAS', in the 'Replace with' enter new volume eg 'S:'. This will point the database to the new volume identifier.
Finally update your auto-import settings to the new volume and turn back on 'Run auto-import in background'.

This will prevent the issue of duplicate files in the library.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

macdonjh

Thank you, BillH, doof and terrym@tassie.

I created the initial problem by Importing manually, but BillH is right, Auto Import would have eventually created the problem anyway, I think.  I'll double check my Auto Import configuration (and turn it off temporarily as terrym@tassie suggests), before I try fixing anything.

macdonjh

Just to see if it would work, I deleted the Library I was using, then restored it.  That didn't work, all the duplicate files came back.  It is possible I did Restore from a too-recent back-up which had all the duplicate files in it. 

In the end, I manually "cleaned" the Library as suggested, using a search and then Delete From Library.  I also double checked my Auto Import configuration to prevent that from happening again.

Thanks all.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - you could have also used MC's Find and Replace function to change "S:\" --> "NAS\"

JRiver CEO Elect

macdonjh

FYI - you could have also used MC's Find and Replace function to change "S:\" --> "NAS\"

But would that have removed the duplicate files in the Library? 

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Nope - it would only let you rename the entries in your original library to change to the new path.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up