INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing music files source path  (Read 444 times)

Zaro

• Recent member
Changing music files source path
« on: November 05, 2021, 05:51:46 pm »

Is there a method for changing the location of my music files (approx. 800 albums) from current location [C:/] to [D:/] in a single clean operation? I recall doing this some time ago but forgot how I did it -- getting old doesn't help!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Changing music files source path
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 08:29:25 pm »

If you're looking to move them and have Media Center use the new path without losing relationships (ie Playlists) use "Rename, Move, & Copy Files.

Highlight the files in Media Center then right click and go.  Recommend to only do a few until you are sure you've got the path correct first.

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 10:25:52 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Could I also create [add] a new library [using the Library Manager] on drive D:/, name it, then copy all of the music files from C:/ to that new directory [library], then load the D:/ library from the Options/Library? What am I missing?

regards.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 07:21:55 am »

You can either 1) use the RMC tool to move the files, as suggested above or 2) copy the files to d: with Explorer and then use RMC to do a global replace of c: to d:  No need to create a new library.

Whatever you do with RMC do one or two albums as a test before doing all the albums.

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 01:08:17 pm »

Fantastic, RMC did the trick.

Copied the files to D:/ [with Explorer] then invoked RMC, set the top most option to: "Update Database to point to new location (no rename, move or copy)". In an instant, all files designation living on D:/.

Many thanks for the tips, once I was in the process it all started coming back to me as to how I did this a few years ago.

regards,
Zaro
Pages: [1]   Go Up