INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manually typing share locations  (Read 1197 times)

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
Manually typing share locations
« on: November 06, 2021, 09:19:00 am »

I run some Windows Server Distributed File Shares (DFS) which are accessible by typing \\namespace\share, however, they cannot be displayed by just browsing the network (the \\namespace must be typed to be able to browse the shares) since the namespace is not a computer but an abstracted location.

I notice that when I configure an import (Tools>Import, Configure auto-import) I can manually type the import locations and it works fine.

However, for uploading media onto the network I need to configure File Locations (Tools>Options>File Locations) and here it only allows me to select folders by browsing and does not allow a share path the to manually typed in. Is there anyway I can manually enter a share path, since the DFS root cannot be browsed to? I would certainly be useful if this section was consistent with way the Import section works.

Just in case anyone is wondering why I use DFS, it is for two reasons:
1. Since the share path is abstracted to a namespace, it allows me to move media from one physical location to another, without the share path changing and so no reconfiguration is required on the clients. All I need to do is update the target to which the namespace share points.
2. It allows me to replicate media across multiple locations to provide redundancy and load balancing (if needed).

Thanks

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Manually typing share locations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 11:33:18 am »

UPDATE:

As a workaround, I have located the configuration in the Windows Registry, for the Music Upload files locations as:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 27\Properties and the Entry File Location - Audio Base Path and manually edited it the correct \\namespace\share

Hopefully this should work but it isnt ideal, it would be much better if this could be done from within Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up