INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.1 Surround to Stereo on Cloudplay  (Read 443 times)

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
5.1 Surround to Stereo on Cloudplay
« on: November 15, 2021, 09:17:05 am »

First, I wanted to thank karzai and Dawgincontrol for sharing their collections of great recordings.

The 70s are the era of my misspent youth, so hearing these albums/artists in stunningly clear audio is like rediscovering them all over again.

Worked as a stagehand this weekend for Jackson Browne and James Taylor, and I had the opportunity to hang with James and Jackson's guitar tech, and he allowed me to photograph these one-of-a-kind vintage and rare guitars. Rare Martin, Gibson (One of the first gold top Les Pauls), and Hawaiian lap steel guitars made in 1939! (see pictures) So I am more aware than ever that these albums are all we have left to hang on to, and for vintage "folks" are precious jewels.

This is more of a rhetorical question that one asked to solve a technical issue.

I started listening to the 5.1 version of T Tex's "Electric Warrior" and I am STUNNED at the effects. If I A/B my 96/24 against the 5.1 Cloudplay, there is a stunning difference between the dimensionality, wider stereo, and front to back "stacking" for lack of a better description.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any setting I can tweak to make it optimal, but I'm pretty impressed with the existing conversion.

Thanks again for sharing guys and know that I'm grateful!

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: 5.1 Surround to Stereo on Cloudplay
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 01:00:13 pm »

Nice pics.

As to the question, because systems and set-ups vary so much, as well as one's proficiency in using external add on's, it's difficult to give much advice on optimum.  Also, room and person's hearing are factors.

One thing you might try is the equalizer available in the DSP studio on Media Center.  Also, bitstreaming and the ouptput format settings may help. 

Write down what settings you are using before messing around with it.  That way if you "break" something it's easy to go back to where you started.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 02:22:08 pm »

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 07:13:27 pm »

Jim : Thank You for the amazing software. I have been a loyal user for years, and I have yet to see anything comparable. J Rivers excellence is my minimum standard for listening!

Dawg : I use Prime EQ from Voxnego software, it works flawlessly with J River, but nothing else in DSP except some mild enhancement of the stereo field. The Petty Vinyl of "Wildflowers" is stunning, so thanks again. The 5.1 versions you shared are superior to my standard versions of these recordings and I appreciate the efforts to compile these! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up