INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refresh Rate Issue when using Blu-Ray Menu  (Read 453 times)

DreamMastR

• Recent member
Refresh Rate Issue when using Blu-Ray Menu
« on: November 16, 2021, 11:55:18 am »

I tried watching a TV show on Blu Ray last night using the Blu Ray menu mode and ran into an issue.

The Blu-ray menu is 30 frames per second in the video renderer correctly detects this setting, switching my TV to a refresh rate of 30.

However, when I select the episode I would like to watch the video renderer will detect that the new frame rate is now 23.97 frames per second, BUT will not adjust the monitor refresh rate. This happens regardless of if I'm using JRVR or madVR.

-  I've tried several different things to resolve the issue.

-  I have turned off display mode switching altogether and manually set the refresh rate of the monitor to 23.97.

-  I have entered the 23.97 frame rate tag within the Blu Rays media tags.

-  I've tried using both the JRiver display matching feature as well as the one built into madVR.

-  I've tried using the madVR option to switch the refresh rate when going full screen instead of at playback. (This seems to be ignored).

-  I have even tried, using either the JRiver or madVR display switching options, inputting 23.97 as the ONLY available refresh rate.

It doesn't matter what setting I have or how much I've even tried to block the selection of any refresh rate except 23.97. The outcome is always the same.

The Blu-Ray will open the menu at 30hz, do a monitor display mode switch, and then refuse to switch the screen refresh rate back to 23.97 when the actual tv episode is loaded. Any idea how to fix this?

Everything works in file mode instead of blu-ray menu mode, but, unfortunately, the episodes are completely out of order using this method.

JRiver version 28.0.81

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Refresh Rate Issue when using Blu-Ray Menu
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 01:37:28 pm »

When you import the Blu-ray into the MC library, and then change its FPS field to 23.976, then MCs built-in switcher should switch to 23.976 instead (the madVR switcher won't know of this and not change behavior). We do not support changing the refresh rate mid-playback.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DreamMastR

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 06:06:03 pm »

Thank you for the response!

I understand what you're saying about madVR, and I suspected as much.

The issue is the player is ignoring the tag, and changing my screen refresh rate to 30hz.

The frame rate can be as off as it needs to for the menu, not a big deal.

But no matter what settings I have JRiver insists on changing the refresh rate to match the menu, not what I entered in the tag.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 04:47:57 am »

The only information MC has is the one in the FPS field. No other information is available for refresh rate changing. If something else is happening, perhaps madVR is still doing it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DreamMastR

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 11:30:40 am »

Thanks Hendrik. Solved.

You were correct. MadVR is ignoring the tag and forcing a refresh rate change to 30hz.

I did try JRVR while I was troubleshooting, but I think I likely forgot to turn on JRiver's display switching mode when I did so.

Set the renderer to JRVR again and everything worked correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up