INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with the "Twilight" skin - SOLVED  (Read 1278 times)

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problems with the "Twilight" skin - SOLVED
« on: November 19, 2021, 02:16:19 am »

Problem 1 - If the Twilight Skin is the active one when you start up MC and tell it to play the 1st track it takes over 12 seconds to load the active/selected TrackInfo Plugin. With any other Skin it takes less than 1 second.

Problem 2 - If  the Twilight Skin is in "Nite Mode" and you switch to a different skin any/all images that skin uses are being darkened. Try switching from the Twilight Skin to the Modern Cards Dark Edition Skin and take a look at the Rating Stars, Volume and Progress Bars and you will spot that they are a lot darker than they should be. Thankfully simply opening and closing the "Skin Effects" window restores the skin back to how it should be.

Problem 3 - If you start MC with a different skin the "Skin Information..." window will display Today's Date but no Sunrise or Sunset info. If you then switch to the Twilight Skin, and twiddle you thumbs for over 12 seconds while MC switches skins, the "Skin Information" will now display Today's Date plus the Sunrise and Sunset times; and will do so for any other skin you switch to.

Problem 4 - If during the period between Sunset and Sunrise and switch from any other skin to the Twilight Skin you should spot that the Search Bar, The Player Tab and all the ScrollBar backgrounds are White and not Grey.

Problem 5 - Over the last 10 days there have been days when the routine used to Obtain the Sunrise and Sunset Times has either failed or obtained bad/incorrect data. On at least 2 days it never displayed any Sunrise or Sunset times, there were at least 2 days where the Sunset Time was obtained/shown but since thee was no Sunrise Time the daft thing stayed in "nite mode" all day long. There was also one day where only the Sunset Time was showing but it was claiming that the Sunset Time for the UK was 19:00 and not the Real Sunset Time of 17:30
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problems with the "Twilight" skin
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 10:14:57 am »

Thanks for the report.

You made a few issues come to light, and I'm working on fixing them today.

First, the effects brightness could carry through because we didn't always reset it.

But more importantly we would load the effects brightness but do it after some components were already loaded.  They didn't reload, so the effect wasn't seen.

It will be solved in the next build, so please test again.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 08:59:01 am »

Matt - some feedback after installing MC28.0.86 yesterday evening.

This morning, before sunrise, I stated MC28 with the Dream In Blue Skin as the active skin.

On switching to the Twilight Skin the load time was noticeably quicker, tomorrow I'll do the same and this time I'll look to see how many seconds it is taking to load.

When switching between skins neither the twilight or any other skin is being effected.

I've got a question for you - Wouldn't be better to do the "Sunrise and Sunset Times" lookup when MC 1st starts regardless of which Skin is being used instead of doing it if and when the Twilight Skin is activated?

Over the next few days I'll keep an eye on things to see if the "Lookup" getting Wrong or No Times reoccurs.

When using the Twilight Skin it takes 15 seconds to switch from CoverArt + Lyrics to one of my TrackInfo Lyrics Plugins - it takes 1 second to do the same thing with any other skin.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 03:29:18 am »

This morning I once again started MC with a different skin to "Twilight" and then at 9:12 am, long after Sunrise, I switched to the Twilight Skin, it took 14 seconds to load but it failed to discover at what time Sunrise and Sunset were going to happen in the UK and so it was in the Darker/Night Mode.

The only improvement so far is the fact that the complete skin gets drawn and not, as was previously happening, the replacing of the previous skin being done section by section.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:05:04 am »

I had that happen to me a couple days in a row as well.  I ran MC in the debugger overnight and unfortunately it was fine this morning.

I added logging, so at least we'll be able to explore that when the colors are wrong.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:10:09 am »

Mat - Is it possible there is something in the code for the routine that access's the Sunrise/Sunset Times that is stopping it populating those 2 values/fields when it is happening after Sunrise has happened?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 08:14:51 am »

Mat - Is it possible there is something in the code for the routine that access's the Sunrise/Sunset Times that is stopping it populating those 2 values/fields when it is happening after Sunrise has happened?

I'm not sure.  We load the times once a day.  But maybe we're not getting the web result we expect in some cases?

I'll make the coming build use the default times when it doesn't load times from the webpage.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 03:21:03 am »

Matt - I just had a thought

If the routine used to get the Sunrise and Sunset Times only runs at a specific time and MC is not running at that time of day could be the reason why it's not getting the correct information on an installation that is not running 24/7. Surely it would be better to set MC to get those times at Start up as well as at a specific time.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 02:07:18 am »

This is what happened when I tried V28.0.88 - Yet Again Another Total Failure

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 11:33:21 am »

"I'm not sure.  We load the times once a day.  But maybe we're not getting the web result we expect in some cases?"
How is the user's location determined? Is it based on IP address?
Will the skin work if users use a VPN with a server for away?

The ideal situation would be for users to enter their latitude and longitude and have times for each day populate for the entire year. Then just use the date. Obviously this doesn't work for people traveling. If there is not a site to provide this data I can send JRiver my extensive set of Geodesy books so you can write some of your own formulas.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 11:54:31 am »

This site shows a simplified way to find the times. A bit easier than my books.
http://www.stargazing.net/kepler/sunrise.html

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 02:49:36 pm »

It's not loading nicely outside the US now.  I'm making the next build at least use reasonable times when this happens.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problems with the "Twilight" skin - SOLVED
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 03:23:54 am »

All of the problems were down to there being No Sunrise or Sunset Times being loaded.

Matt has made the relevant changes to ensure that the routine used to get the times works regardless of the User's Location and will use "Reasonable Default Times" on those odd occasions the Routine fails to obtain Either or Both Times.

Pages: [1]   Go Up