INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashing Problems  (Read 482 times)

DONUSA

• Recent member
Crashing Problems
« on: November 20, 2021, 12:24:45 am »

Just installed version 28 and it is crashing.  I'm preparing to uninstall/reboot/reinstall it.  The first step is to backup the Library.  My Library is in a folder that is sync'd with Dropbox cloud.  (I do this as a convenient way to always have a backup of the latest changes on the cloud and to get to prior versions if it were ever necessary).   

I selected a different sub-folder in my Dropbox folder to put the MC backup ZIP file, but when I do File>Library>Backup Library I get the "Library Backup Failed" message, though there is ZIP file there.  I tried again, this time using a folder on the same drive but not in Dropbox, and got no error message. 

Can anyone explain why the Backup Library function has a beef with Dropbox?  It makes me concerned about using MC with the Main Library in Dropbox.  The MC app itself is on another drive in the same Windows PC.  I don't see any need to back that up because I can always just reinstall it. 

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Crashing Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 12:34:55 am »

I selected a different sub-folder in my Dropbox folder to put the MC backup ZIP file, but when I do File>Library>Backup Library I get the "Library Backup Failed" message, though there is ZIP file there.  I tried again, this time using a folder on the same drive but not in Dropbox, and got no error message. 
I don't know about Dropbox.  But I use a similar cloud backup scheme with MC backup zip files saved to OneDrive and it works very well.  The library is in default local location C:\Users\myUserName>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 28\Library, and media is on local external SSD.

I have the OneDrive mode set to first write to a local OneDrive subfolder on C:\, then subsequently upload to cloud in the background.  In this mode, a normal MC backup is not subjected to any network latency or connectivity issues.

DONUSA

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 02:01:17 am »

I just installed MC28 and some videos that would play in MC25 cause MC28 to hang and requires MC28 to be killed and restarted.  Same files always do this, but other files of the same type don't.  These files also still play fine with other players -- they just cause MC28 to crash. 

I did uninstall/reboot/reinstall, but no improvement.  Any ideas for what to look for in these files that is making MC28 allergic to them? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 06:27:11 am »

Configure Windows Defender.  Information is on this board.

Uninstall any other antivirus, just to test.
Pages: [1]   Go Up