INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom View for Audio Books  (Read 827 times)

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
Custom View for Audio Books
« on: November 20, 2021, 06:05:08 pm »

howdy,
I am slowly creating a custom view for my audio book collection and I dont seem to be able to figure out how to make them display how i want.
I have attached a screen shot to show you fine folks my issue.
in the screen shot you can see that i have selected the nightlord series the display is fine up top but below the first shown is book 7
I want to display my books in order. I do have several custom fields one of witch is [AudioBook Series Volume] this field is a number 1 through whatever.
As a seperate issue there seems to be a Play button displayed with the Series Volume field Why ? and can it be removed ?
Thank you for your time and help

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: I am Stumped
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 10:34:59 pm »

in the screen shot you can see that i have selected the nightlord series the display is fine up top but below the first shown is book 7
I want to display my books in order. I do have several custom fields one of witch is [AudioBook Series Volume] this field is a number 1 through whatever.
"up top" is referred to as "Panes", and "below" is referred to as "the file list".

If you hover your mouse over the the word "Fancy" in your tab (shown in the attached snap-051) a menu will appear. This menu is referred to as the "view header menu". Use this menu to change the grouping applied to your file list. Currently, it's using "a-z > Audiobook Fancy Title". Change this to "a-z > Audiobook Series". As your sorting appears to be applied already, that should be the last step you need to reach your goal. If the sorting is not applied automatically as you'd like, use the same view header menu to fix that. "a-z > AudioBook Series Volume" is probably the one you want.

As a seperate issue there seems to be a Play button displayed with the Series Volume field Why ? and can it be removed ?
"Why?": It's a feature called "linkable columns". The idea being, using the artist field as an example, if you clicked that little icon, you would be taken to a view that shows all files by that artist. It's not a bad feature, but depending upon how your views are set up, the resulting view can be misleading and often incomplete. Personally, I have the feature turned off.

To turn it off everywhere in the program, disable the feature at "Options > General > Features" and untick "Linkable columns"
TIP: Get there fast by opening options, and type link in the search field at the bottom of the options window.

If you want to keep the feature active, and only turn it off for the [Series Volume] field, you can do this too:
Go to "Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields" and select your [Series Volume] field from the list on the left. Now, in the options shown on the right, untick the "Show a link checkbox" option then OK your way out.

Thank you for your time and help
You are most welcome. Enjoy.

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 01:04:18 am »

Here is another screen shot . I seem to be getting closer but am still missing something. changing the grouping does make the file list display in order but the nice title bar now only displays a number. technically i got what i wanted but the view is uglier. I would like to find a way to keep the pretty title bar and the bare numbers need to go away if possible.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 01:33:27 am »

You are now grouping by "a-z > [AudioBook Series Volume].

Change that to "a-z > Audiobook Series" and the nice title bar will show "Nightlord" and underneath that, all "Nightlord" titles will be listed, grouped together.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Custom View for Audio Books
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 01:46:32 am »

Here's a thing that just ocurred to me...

Maybe, you prefer the look of the list, like you have posted, with each book in its own group, if so, first try this:
Keep the grouping as "Audiobook Series"
Open the view header menu again, and try out "List Style > Tiles"

If that is still not cutting it, you can create a custom library field that combines your existing data, that you would only use to group the files.
Something along the lines of "[AudioBook Series Volume]: [Audiobook Fancy Title]"

The above would give you what you have in your first screenshot, the difference being, the volume number would be prepended to the info in the nice title bar (AKA the group header bar) making them sort just the way you want.

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Custom View for Audio Books
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 07:53:07 am »

Ok here is another ScreenShot,
I have the sorting and display pretty much nailed down and the Tiles view is gorgeous, is it possible to edit what tags are displayed to the right of the tile ? I would like to use other tags there especially a description/synopsis tag. Really the way i want to examine and choose my audio books is a lot like how i imagine I would want to choose movies or TV shows.
Thank you so much for your suggestions !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up