INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some notes are dropped out when playback on MC28  (Read 1346 times)

dannylin

• Recent member
Some notes are dropped out when playback on MC28
« on: November 16, 2021, 01:15:22 am »

I haven't changed any settings but just upgrade to the latest MC28 build from an earlier build.

When playing back the same song, be it 5644kbps DSD file, or 44.1Hz flac, I noticed that some notes are dropped out which is not right.

It doesn't seem to have such an issue in earlier builds. But this did happen not only in the latest MC28 build, and at least 2 or 3 earlier builds.

Not sure why.

I just uninstall my MC28 before installing the current build. Also remove the library and re-import it.

Any clue what would cause this?

My setup:
macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (happens on Big Sur as well, I just upgraded to 12.0.1 and the problem is still there)
MBP 2017, 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports
8GB
Intel Core i5 3.1GHz

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Some notes are dropped out when playback on MC28
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:42:33 am »

Reinstall MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 09:45:50 am »

I haven't changed any settings but just upgrade to the latest MC28 build from an earlier build.

When playing back the same song, be it 5644kbps DSD file, or 44.1Hz flac, I noticed that some notes are dropped out which is not right.

It doesn't seem to have such an issue in earlier builds. But this did happen not only in the latest MC28 build, and at least 2 or 3 earlier builds.

Not sure why.

I just uninstall my MC28 before installing the current build. Also remove the library and re-import it.

Any clue what would cause this?

My setup:
macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (happens on Big Sur as well, I just upgraded to 12.0.1 and the problem is still there)
MBP 2017, 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports
8GB
Intel Core i5 3.1GHz
If reinstalling doesn't solve the issue,
What is your audio output device?
Note that Big Sur and Monterey will be slower on a 2017 MBP than Catalina was. You may need to tweak some of the buffering settings in MC's audio device settings.

dannylin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 02:36:59 am »

If reinstalling doesn't solve the issue,
What is your audio output device?
Note that Big Sur and Monterey will be slower on a 2017 MBP than Catalina was. You may need to tweak some of the buffering settings in MC's audio device settings.

Thanks Bob. I've tried everything I can do.

Did a full uninstall again today, and reinstalled MC28. The problem still persists.
My audio output device is my earphone - the first time I hear the notes dropped, I thought it was my earphone's problem. But then I tried another two, it's the same.

Re:  tweak some of the buffering settings in MC's audio device settings.

Is there anywhere especially I can do? I've turned off subwoofer to silent. Leave prebuffering to default (6s), also tried Memory playback to 'Load decoded file in memory'. But it did not seem to help.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 09:54:11 am »

I would not use memory playback.
In MC’s audio device settings, turn off integer mode and exclusive mode if they are on.
Under device options in the same area try increasing the buffering there.

dannylin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 10:04:34 pm »

I would not use memory playback.
In MC's audio device settings, turn off integer mode and exclusive mode if they are on.
Under device options in the same area try increasing the buffering there.

Thanks a lot, Bob. Turned memory playback back to off.

Checked audio device setting, integer mode is off, but the exclusive mode is on.
Tried turning exclusive mode off, it does help a lot - much less drop-out during the song.

However, it appears that there's an apparent hiccup when song A is ended and song B is about to start.

There's still some drop-out that happened occasionally, but much better from what I feel.
Is there any other setting that I can check and tweak, or is there an option on MC that I can possibly turn on and attach a copy of the log in case you might be able to investigate?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 08:38:22 am »

Thanks a lot, Bob. Turned memory playback back to off.

Checked audio device setting, integer mode is off, but the exclusive mode is on.
Tried turning exclusive mode off, it does help a lot - much less drop-out during the song.

However, it appears that there's an apparent hiccup when song A is ended and song B is about to start.

There's still some drop-out that happened occasionally, but much better from what I feel.
Is there any other setting that I can check and tweak, or is there an option on MC that I can possibly turn on and attach a copy of the log in case you might be able to investigate?

Also in audio settings, try making track transitions gapless and change all of the stop/pause options to immediate.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 12:02:31 pm »

I am not so sure that this behavior is caused by the new version of MC.

Can you run an older version of MC to test with?  Maybe the last version of MC28 that worked well?  Your Mac is very modern and has plenty of processor and RAM.  I would expect it to work well with MC without any weird tweaking of settings.

What is your audio device and how are you connecting to it?  (USB, digital audio cable, HDMI, etc)

Brian.

dannylin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 10:19:47 pm »

I am not so sure that this behavior is caused by the new version of MC.

Can you run an older version of MC to test with?  Maybe the last version of MC28 that worked well?  Your Mac is very modern and has plenty of processor and RAM.  I would expect it to work well with MC without any weird tweaking of settings.

What is your audio device and how are you connecting to it?  (USB, digital audio cable, HDMI, etc)

Brian.

Thanks, Brian. That is what I thought. My audio device and peripherals are very simple: Just Mac and plugged in with my earphone.

And the good news is that I've spotted the suspect -- BitDefender Anti-Virus....

It has been installed on my Mac for several months, but not sure why it will affect MC28. Maybe it has changed the way it checks the usage of audio devices.

I've uninstalled it and now everything goes back to normal. Thanks God.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 06:32:30 am »

BitDefender on a Mac?  Wow, I would not have guessed that.  In my opinion that kind of software is unnecessary on a Mac.  But that's just my opinion.

Most importantly, I'm glad you seem to have fixed the problem.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up