INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help playing high rez files through an Ifi Zen Stream network bridge  (Read 3999 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

I am using MC28 with windows 10. I recently bought an Ifi Zen Stream. It claims to be compatible with JRiver via a DLNA set up.  My goal was to continue to use my computer and my JRiver customized interface, but send the music from the server’s hard drive to the Zen Stream, which then sends it to my DAC to be played through my stereo.

After some struggle with the Zen Stream, I got it to work. The problem is any file over 48K is down sampled to 48K in the process. I have dozens of files that will not play at the correct sample rate. The Ifi help staff say it is a problem with some JRiver setting in the Media Network option.

Help with this issue is greatly appreciated. Yes I did read the DLNA WIKI.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

In the Media Network settings, you can edit the DLNA Server used to specify what conversion settings to use.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

Can you be more specific?

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

I changed audio mode to original. All the PCM files now play at the proper sampling rate, but the dsf files are converted to PCM. What do I do to get the dsf files to play without being converted to PCM? The dsf files are DSD64.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Under the DLNA settings (at the bottom, not where you set Original), select Advanced and check Bitstream DSD (requires DoP compliant renderer). That will send DSD as DoP.  That might work. I could not find what DSD format the Ifi wants for DLNA.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

Many thanks. It worked!! Interesting that the "advanced" menu that contained "Bitstream DSD" seems to be a Video sub-category.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

Interesting that the "advanced" menu that contained "Bitstream DSD" seems to be a Video sub-category.
Agreed.
Another puzzler:  DLNAExtra, which recently caused issues with a user's audio renderer, also appears under the Video sub-category.  The wiki search links to Release Notes which mention Container Art (same as cover art?), but apparently the setting affects DLNA in general, both audio and video (?).  Furthermore it is not recognized by the Search Bar at the bottom of the Options menu (searching on DLNA or DLNAExtra), which makes this setting especially hard to find.

Maybe a new category is needed for settings that affect DLNA format for both audio and video?  Probably better:  keep the settings independent and just repeat the option check box in multiple sub-categories so it can be set separately for audio and for video (when applicable).

dtc

• MC Beta Team

The Advanced menu is on the same level as Audio, Images and Video. It is not within the Video options.  It has options for both audio and video.  That is why it is on the same level as Audio, Images and Video.  Collapse Audio, Images and Video and you will see the hierarchy.  I do agree that collecting options that are specific to a specific format might be a good idea.  Only Audio has a separate Advanced option currently.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Agreed.
Another puzzler:  DLNAExtra, which recently caused issues with a user's audio renderer, also appears under the Video sub-category.  The wiki search links to Release Notes which mention Container Art (same as cover art?), but apparently the setting affects DLNA in general, both audio and video (?).  Furthermore it is not recognized by the Search Bar at the bottom of the Options menu (searching on DLNA or DLNAExtra), which makes this setting especially hard to find.

Maybe a new category is needed for settings that affect DLNA format for both audio and video?  Probably better:  keep the settings independent and just repeat the option check box in multiple sub-categories so it can be set separately for audio and for video (when applicable).

I believe DLNAextra deals with issues with subtitles on DVD players. Here is one discussion of it

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67374.0

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

The Advanced menu is on the same level as Audio, Images and Video. It is not within the Video options.  It has options for both audio and video.  That is why it is on the same level as Audio, Images and Video.  Collapse Audio, Images and Video and you will see the hierarchy.
Technically you may be right about the hierarchy, but the alignment shown certainly confused the OP, me (for a long time), and probably many others.  I don't mean to be nitpicking, but a small tweak to the layout would make a big difference in user perception.

FYI - skin:  unmodified ThunderStorm.  Perhaps the alignment varies with skin?

Breaking up into Advanced Options for each category is probably the better long term solution, or maybe subdivide with category labels within the single Advanced menu.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

I believe DLNAextra deals with issues with subtitles on DVD players. Here is one discussion of it

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67374.0
Thanks for the reference. 

Here is the recent thread, in which after an enormous amount of troubleshooting, user zender's conclusion (Page 2 - Reply #54) was that DLNAExtra affected his audio renderer:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129878.0.html

His renderer was effectively the Platin Stereo Hub, which handles both audio and video (but he was only discussing audio):
https://buchardtaudio.com/collections/active-speakers/products/hub-remote.

If zender's conclusion is accurate, then DLNAExtra can affect both video and audio packets, and at least this particular multi-format endpoint is sensitive to it for audio.  That is my point here about treating it independently in the two categories.

[Caveat:  Without looking at MC's music packets or log file in some detail I don't know for sure whether MC treats the Platin Stereo Hub as an audio or video device when sending it music.]

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Technically you may be right about the hierarchy, but the alignment shown certainly confused the OP, me (for a long time), and probably many others.  I don't mean to be nitpicking, but a small tweak to the layout would make a big difference in user perception.

FYI - skin:  unmodified ThunderStorm.  Perhaps the alignment varies with skin?

Breaking up into Advanced Options for each category is probably the better long term solution, or maybe subdivide with category labels within the single Advanced menu.

I see why you think Advanced is under Video. That looks like a problem with that particular skin. Switch to Modern Cards Gray and you will see the intended hierarchy.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the reference. 

Here is the recent thread, in which after an enormous amount of troubleshooting, user zender's conclusion (Page 2 - Reply #54) was that DLNAExtra affected his audio renderer:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129878.0.html

His renderer was effectively the Platin Stereo Hub, which handles both audio and video (but he was only discussing audio):
https://buchardtaudio.com/collections/active-speakers/products/hub-remote.

If zender's conclusion is accurate, then DLNAExtra can affect both video and audio packets, and at least this particular multi-format endpoint is sensitive to it for audio.  That is my point here about treating it independently in the two categories.

Yes, I saw that thread. Unfortunately, I have no details on what DLNAextra actual does. I was surprised that it effected audio and wonder if it is something specific to that unit.  I agree that documenting what it does would be nice.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

I see why you think Advanced is under Video. That looks like a problem with that particular skin. Switch to Modern Cards Gray and you will see the intended hierarchy.
?? Same issue in Modern Cards (attached).
Is something wonky in the layout code that would make it look different on different computers?
Video category does not have its own sub-menu in my view (I use MC only for audio).  Is that causing it to indent differently?

dtc

• MC Beta Team

I see something different, not sure why.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

I see something different, not sure why.
Your video has its own sub-menues, mine does not.  Why?

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Don't know why yours is different. You might want to start a separate thread on this.  I am on 28.0.80 (64 bit) on Windows 10.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

28.0.84 (64 bit) on Win 11.
I was in Audio Only mode, with Image feature turned on.
When I switch AOM off, I get Video in left pane, and (Options... > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA Servers... >) DLNA Servers menu looks like yours.
That's a bug IMO.  Will call it out in another thread.
@dtc - thanks for the help on this one.

Bug Report:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131291.0.html

antony_tang

Many thanks. It worked!! Interesting that the "advanced" menu that contained "Bitstream DSD" seems to be a Video sub-category.

May I ask how you find the SQ of this configuration "Computer/JRiver -->Zen Stream --> DAC" ?
Are there any issues with streaming large files such as DSD or 192K/24bit hi-res flac over wifi?
I am interested to have the same setup instead of my current setup of Computer/JRiver --> DAC. Thank you.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

The hard part was setting it up initially. The advice here worked. The sound quality is better with the Zen Stream than going direct to the DAC from the computer. It works without a hiccup. No problem with large files. The streamer is definitely now my preferred configuration.

I am using a ethernet cable from a wifi extender. It is supposed to sound better than wifi.

Also I use the Zen Stream with JRiver only so I switched from mode 1 to 5, DLNA exclusive mode after initial setup. It has been stable in this configuration.

antony_tang

The hard part was setting it up initially. The advice here worked. The sound quality is better with the Zen Stream than going direct to the DAC from the computer. It works without a hiccup. No problem with large files. The streamer is definitely now my preferred configuration.

I am using a ethernet cable from a wifi extender. It is supposed to sound better than wifi.

Also I use the Zen Stream with JRiver only so I switched from mode 1 to 5, DLNA exclusive mode after initial setup. It has been stable in this configuration.

Thank you. I will try this.

MuMa

Hi

Can some one please explain how to connect IFi Streamer to MC, which is running on my PC.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up