INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Frequency of lib backups  (Read 496 times)

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
The Frequency of lib backups
« on: November 23, 2021, 07:59:51 pm »

had another hard disk crash everything i have done and worked on is gone.
yes I restored a library backup unforch The newest backup was 11-17-2021. it there a setting where i can set the frequency of performing library backups?  from now on I want to back up the library every time i start the program.
My old spinning rust drives are dieing i have got to get some solid state drives and try to save what data i can.

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: The Frequency of lib backups
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:37:50 pm »

Can anyone tell me how often the backing up of the library happens ?
I was shocked to find that the latest backup was several day's old because I now sync my library backup folder to google drive once a day since I have been having these hard disk failure's.
I am tired and frustrated that i keep loosing all my work on expressions views custom fields ect again and again.
I suppose i am just going to have to manually back up my library once a day make it a habbit hopefully I can make a script to do it on boot up.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 02:49:25 pm »

Looking at my backup folder, it seems to happen every 2 days.
You can schedule it more frequently though, on Services&Plugins->Scheduler (on the left-side tree), click Add Task and select the 'Library Backup' task. You can even add multiple Backup tasks at different times of day if you want more than one backup per day.

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 02:58:37 pm »

oh thank you muchly !! changing that right now.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 03:03:42 pm »

You're welcome.
If your system is crashing on a daily basis and you're sure that the disks are to blame, you should stop using it immediately and migrate your data ASAP. It might not recover at all next time.

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 03:29:25 pm »

Yeah i have some solid state drives on order for my most critical media and i want to replace my mech drives with new mebby nas drives i dunno I am researching what new spinning rust drives are available. big drives are just so much cheaper than solid state drives once you get into the multi terabyte ranges of storage.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 03:33:26 pm »

SSDs also fail, just as hard as spinners. If the data is critical you should plan for RAID and/or backups, regardless of using mechanical or SSD drives. For large data volume, it's still more cost effective to buy 2 large spinners, one for data and another for backups. Or use a cloud backup service.
Pages: [1]   Go Up