INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring Presets from current version to upgrade  (Read 761 times)

carver188

• Recent member
Restoring Presets from current version to upgrade
« on: November 26, 2021, 10:23:07 am »

Hi Folks,

I have spent a half hour searching on this forum for "restoring presets", "restoring views", "presets upgrade", "MC 28 upgrade presets" etc and could not find an answer, so I apologize if this is a duplicate new post. 

I cringe when upgrading because I have spent time 'setting up' my views, skin and skin brightness and contrast, column presets, DSP equalizer, toolbar (the very top line), etc, those don't stay/transfer when I upgrade.  I just upgraded to MC 28 (registered) and my skin is gone, the toolbar at the top is default, and my column view is default and my Presets are no longer listed (right click on a column/Presets/).   Ie, all my settings/views are gone.

? 1. Is an upgrade supposed to transfer all those settings and views? 
? 2. How do I restore all that stuff (hopefully not relearning it and manually do it again as I did this stuff years ago).

I love JRiver for HiFi music, the past 15 years or so?  While I love to support JRiver with my upgrade payments and have no reason to 'upgrade' as I have always been happy with each current version for my purposes.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!
Scott

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: Restoring Presets from current version to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 05:32:11 pm »

? 1. Is an upgrade supposed to transfer all those settings and views? 
? 2. How do I restore all that stuff (hopefully not relearning it and manually do it again as I did this stuff years ago).
MC has always automatically carried all my settings over when I upgrade (which I have done about a dozen times over the years).

All is not lost though - in the menu bar go to File\Library\Restore Library and browse to the MC library backup folder. Look at the zip backup file modification dates, and restore the last version prior to when you installed MC28.  Make sure you have the Restore Settings box checked (see pic below).  All should be back to your previous setup after that.  Note however, any changes you have made after installing MC28 will be overwritten by the earlier backup (which includes newly rated songs, playlist changes, any tag edits, etc).

Additional Info:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restore_a_library

(Note: ignore the path shown in the pic - that is a custom location I setup for my computer.  MC will auto-populate the correct path for your install.)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 05:53:57 pm »

I just upgraded to MC 28 (registered) and my skin is gone
Last thing... if the skin you are referring to above is not one of those that MC includes by default, then you will have to re-download that skin.

I thought I remember seeing in MC28 "What's New" that it now keeps other/additional downloaded skins and track info templates when you upgrade.  So I am either remembering wrongly (a distinct possibility), or it does not work, as I had to resurrect a bunch of skins I had customized from the previous MC27 version skin folder (copy/paste from there to the MC28 skin folder) when I upgraded to MC28.

carver188

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 02:19:29 pm »

Hello HPBEME!
Thank you very much for your reply!
I did Restore Library from my previous back up MC25, checking only Restore Settings and unchecking Restore Library and Playlists, because my music and playlists were there (although it took restarting MC 28 a handful of times before my Playlists filtered/loaded properly which was an anxious period time).  All settings I was concerned about reloaded exactly like the previous version - excellent!

My Skin is Thunderstorm (been there for my memory, so no idea if it is default or downloaded), though I still had to adjust Bright/Contrast to taste.

I'm glad an upgrade supposedly brings all the custom settings/views along with it, but this time mine did not and don't recall if it has previously.  Glad there is a workaround in case it doesn't work the next upgrade.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:39 pm »

Glad it all worked out. And FYI... Thunderstorm is one of the default skins that is included on every MC install.

I think Restore Settings is a persistent checkbox, so hopefully the next time you upgrade it will automatically grab all your settings.  If it does not, at least you now know how to quickly get everything back. I suggest checking the Library and Playlists checkbox too.  It won't hurt, and may explain why it took "...restarting MC 28 a handful of times..." before it loaded properly.  I doubt your restarts had anything to do with it finally working - MC was likely importing all your media files tags and rebuilding a new library from scratch in the background the whole time. Your last restart likely occurred after tag imports were finally complete, making it appear as though restarting was the solution. That said, restarting MC can indeed solve some wonky problems... just not this one.

If you had imported your previous library (via the aforementioned checkbox), it would have completed that in a few seconds.

Pages: [1]   Go Up