INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Problem with Blu-ray and Onkyo Receiver  (Read 1548 times)

tgp7777777

• Recent member
Sync Problem with Blu-ray and Onkyo Receiver
« on: November 27, 2021, 07:24:57 am »

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have just come back to Media Centre after a few years, motivated by the new JRVR renderer. I must say it is looking very promising and kudos to developing this feature.

I was able after searching the forums here to get audio bitstreaming from 4k Blu-Ray to my AV receiver (By putting in a delay via the options). This is great, sounds amazing. My issue, I think, is related to the syncing between my AV Receiver (Onkyo) and my Projector (Vivitek). When I fire up MC and play a blu-ray, everything works fine. If I stop playing the Blu-ray, go back to MC menu and then play the same or another movie it refuses to play complaining about the output device isn't capable of playing the audio. (Although it just played it no problem). Ending MC and restarting gives the same cannot play message. If I play something else on my HTPC, say a bit of a Youtube video, it seems to reset the AV and then firing up MC it can play the movie again like the first time. It seems like MC leaves the receiver is some strange state that only playing audio via some other program on the PC can reset to it's satisfaction. OK, I have a workaround, but does anyone have any thoughts on what is happening and any more elegant solution please?

Also, by the way, JRVR plays HDR well too, much better than PDVD that I have been using up until now. Loving JRVR, the above issue notwithstanding.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sync Problem with Blu-ray and Onkyo Receiver
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 07:35:35 am »

I was able after searching the forums here to get audio bitstreaming from 4k Blu-Ray to my AV receiver (By putting in a delay via the options). This is great, sounds amazing. My issue, I think, is related to the syncing between my AV Receiver (Onkyo) and my Projector (Vivitek). When I fire up MC and play a blu-ray, everything works fine. If I stop playing the Blu-ray, go back to MC menu and then play the same or another movie it refuses to play complaining about the output device isn't capable of playing the audio.
Do Pause and Stop behave the same way?

What happens if you power cycle the Onkyo?

I may move this to a new thread.

tgp7777777

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 07:55:18 am »

Do Pause and Stop behave the same way?

What happens if you power cycle the Onkyo?

I may move this to a new thread.

Hi Jim,

No Pause is fine, it's when you exit the playing interface and go back to the MC main interface (and the AV receiver  rests) that it won't play subsequent discs. (isos actually)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 07:58:06 am »

Hi Jim,

No Pause is fine, it's when you exit the playing interface and go back to the MC main interface (and the AV receiver  rests) that it won't play subsequent discs. (isos actually)
Try Stop, not Pause.  They're different.

Power cycle the Onkyo.

What cables are you using?

tgp7777777

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 08:03:51 am »

Try Stop, not Pause.  They're different.

Power cycle the Onkyo.

What cables are you using?

I'm using Stop, that's when the issue happens. Power cycling the Onkyo doesn't fix it. I'm using quality HDMI cables. Other apps reset the interface fine.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 10:29:25 am »

Do you have display rate switching set to change with the frame rate of each movie? If so, increase the time given to the projector to switch display rates. This setting is is under the Video section of Options near the bottom. 5 seconds should do it.
The error message you get can be triggered by not giving the display enough time to switch refresh rate. It can be very misleading, although it might not be the issue in your particular case.

tgp7777777

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 11:14:58 am »

Do you have display rate switching set to change with the frame rate of each movie? If so, increase the time given to the projector to switch display rates. This setting is is under the Video section of Options near the bottom. 5 seconds should do it.
The error message you get can be triggered by not giving the display enough time to switch refresh rate. It can be very misleading, although it might not be the issue in your particular case.

Absolutely brilliant sir! The display rate was indeed set to on. I changed it to "custom" and set the delay rate to 5 seconds as you suggested and it now works every time. This clears up this frustrating issue for me and maybe helps someone else with an AV / PJ combination which always seemed to me was in the mix of the problem somehow.

Many many thanks that you managed to help me given the thin evidence I provided. I'm very happy you solved this for me and suitably impressed.

Take the rest of the day off!

tgp7777777

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:39 am »

Did I mention how impressed I am that you identified the exact setting out of the hundreds of combinations available? No need to come back into work until Monday.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 04:00:59 pm »

Did I mention how impressed I am that you identified the exact setting out of the hundreds of combinations available? No need to come back into work until Monday.

Hahaha, thank you!
I think you know how frustrating it is to have this issue, and all the while MC is telling you it is an audio problem; you then try EVERYTHING you can imagine and it turns out to be a video setting! I remember when I first figured it out - the experimentation it took to figure this out.

I explained this to Matt, and a sentence was added to the error message mentioning to check for the time allowed for refresh rate changes. However, this was removed for some reason, I believe. Since then, I've encountered 4 people who have had the same issue and been unable to solve it until I recognised it; two were on this forum and two more of my customers. I recently requested the addendum to return, but I think I will do so again.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 05:13:36 pm »

I also added it to the JRVR Thread - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130657.150.html as it is a common issue and I just had it on one of my HTPC when testing JRVR where it was already set but I had to increase it.
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 05:31:28 pm »

fitbrit, can you give me some more details?  Either a link to the Interact post where we talked about it, or the error box and what was added for a while.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 05:42:04 pm »

I'm wondering if MC could be "smarter" about when Video Playback is started post a change in the Refresh rate by waiting / testing that the Audio device is available again before commencing to build the filter chain?
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 06:09:39 pm »

fitbrit, can you give me some more details?  Either a link to the Interact post where we talked about it, or the error box and what was added for a while.

Thanks.

I'll go searching for it, Matt.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 06:30:03 pm »

I found it Matt:

Good idea.  Next build:
Changed: If Media Center fails to start video playback, it will message about the audio but now add a string about adjusting the video delay.
See attachment also

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 06:34:56 pm »

I found it Matt:
See attachment also

I also recall vaguely that the appended sentence was removed after a year or so in one update. I believe I registered some disapproval at the time, but I don't recall when that was.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 06:42:33 pm »

I also added it to the JRVR Thread - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130657.150.html as it is a common issue and I just had it on one of my HTPC when testing JRVR where it was already set but I had to increase it.

Thanks a lot! I first encountered this back in 2017 and it launched me into a depressive period. I'd newly acquired Baetis Audio and one of my first customers was about to demand a refund if this issue wasn't fixed. At that time I was a full-time MBA student and a refund would have bankrupted the company. I found the thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=113719.0

The issue was temporarily solved by adding an EDID device, but this failed to be a long term solution.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 06:49:30 pm »

If we're trying to play video, it should still show:
"If you think your audio settings are correct, adding a delay (Wait after change) under Video in Options may help."

This is in the "Playback could not be started using the format:" message.

So I don't see that it was removed?  Does something need adjusting?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 07:24:00 pm »

If we're trying to play video, it should still show:
"If you think your audio settings are correct, adding a delay (Wait after change) under Video in Options may help."

This is in the "Playback could not be started using the format:" message.

So I don't see that it was removed?  Does something need adjusting?  Thanks.

Thanks Matt. I must’ve imagined the removal, or my protest was heeded? I seem to recall fixing this for a customer recently, while they protested that it couldn’t possibly be a video issue, and they’d read the entire message.
Sorry fir jumping to the conclusion that it was removed if it wasn’t.
What’s telling, then, is that people who get that error are not reading it all the way to the end, or are not trying the suggestion.

tgp7777777

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2021, 04:04:36 am »

The exact error message that is shown is as follows

"Something went wrong with playback

Details:
Playback could not be started on the selected audio output.

The audio format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP studio to change the output to a compatible format.

Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options."

If you press the help button the help page and then further select the Video troubleshooting link rather than the Audio troubleshooting link, it takes you to a page which has one line at the very bottom which reads

"Disable Automatic Display Settings Changing under Options > Video > Display Settings. This option requires compatible hardware and display drivers."

ofc once your components are in the "won't play" state this won't help until you use another program to "unstick" the situation by playing some video.

I think it would help to change the error message.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 08:51:27 pm »

The exact error message that is shown is as follows

"Something went wrong with playback

Details:
Playback could not be started on the selected audio output.

The audio format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP studio to change the output to a compatible format.

Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options."

Thank you. I thought I was going senile after Matt's post that the text had not been changed. I couldn't reproduce the error to check myself, as my projector changes refresh rates quickly.

tgp7777777

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 04:48:25 am »

Thank you. I thought I was going senile after Matt's post that the text had not been changed. I couldn't reproduce the error to check myself, as my projector changes refresh rates quickly.

Nobody likes a show-off dude.  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up