INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small Display view question  (Read 905 times)

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
small Display view question
« on: November 27, 2021, 03:02:39 pm »

When I play music there is a "Display" view in the lower left. I see that I can right click on it and change to many different themes. Is there a way to make the Display pane a little larger so it fits the contents? I don't want to use the mini view or the full screen view; I just want the contents to fit on the Display pane. Ideally a "Fit contents to windows" would be great. What am I missing?

There is an option to "Show Cover Art When Small", which I have turned off, but the cover art is still showing.

Thanks.
--
Mostly a headphone guy. I use JRiver exclusively for music.

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: small Display view question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 04:03:55 pm »

well, I sort of answered my own question. I found the HTML and made my own version of Simple.
Not sure what the point of this display is since all the info is at the top, but at least it looks better. I guess the best way to make a display would be to make it responsive, but that's not trivial.

--

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 12:27:08 pm »

You can increase/decrease the size via holding down control and then scrolling your mouse wheel up/down.  Alternatively, hold down control and tap the plus/minus keys until the zoom level fits everything you want.

This zooming functionality also applies to the main Playing Now big display window (in addition to the Tree's mini display window)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 12:54:44 pm »

One other thing... be aware that shrinking it enough so everything fits the Tree's mini display will make the font pretty tiny... possibly to the point of being unreadable, making the display of track info in that location not very helpful. Also, shrinking things to fit for the Tree mini display will also shrink it for the Playing Now display (you cannot control them independently) which looks pretty silly in the Big Playing Now display.

As you noted though, much of data shown in (many) Track Info templates is already shown in the Player Bar's display anyway, which you can easily edit on the fly to customize whatever text tag data you want without having to edit an HTML file.  That said, I don't really use TI's and thus don't appreciate other's desire for them... the only thing I care to see in the Player Now display is cover art and lyrics, or a visualization (Milkdrop2, SoundSpectrum's G-force/Aeon, or even a couple of MC'S built-in visualizations are pretty good).

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 02:55:20 pm »

Thanks HPBEME
You are right that making it smaller just makes the text unreadable.
I did customize the Display Text at the top, but the Display area in the lower left always seems to show when I launch JRiver, so I wanted it to be something useful, or at least no ugly. I made another change to my HTML The art now fits.

--

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 04:42:23 pm »

Do you not like using the Playing Now view?  I only ask, because the Tree mini display is only shown if no tabs are set to Playing Now.  If you set one of your view tabs to Playing Now, Track Info will be shown in the much larger Playing Now display.  Just a thought. 

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 06:17:49 pm »

Do you not like using the Playing Now view?  I only ask, because the Tree mini display is only shown if no tabs are set to Playing Now.  If you set one of your view tabs to Playing Now, Track Info will be shown in the much larger Playing Now display.  Just a thought.
Good lord no. That view wastes half the window! I uses a panes view.
--

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 06:31:35 pm »

OK.... gotcha.

But just to be sure... you do know you can have more than 1 tab, right? It is not as if it has to be Panes View OR Playing Now.  You can have 10 tabs (actually more, but I will leave that for now) showing 10 different views (or 10 identical views for that matter). So you could just switch to the Playing Now tab when you want to see track info in all its huge glory.

I am not trying to convince you to change your preferred way of using MC, just want to make sure you are aware of the endless ways you can set it up.  I only mention it as you are a newer user, and I remember seeing a thread recently where another new user did not realize that you could display multiple tabs.

Hope that is useful info for you.

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:56 pm »

thanks. Multiple tabs is nice. I wish Explorer had that!

My issue is I pretty much just stay in the Panes view. When I play music, the Display on the left shows, and it's quite ugly. I'm lazy and don't want to close the display area anytime I play anything. If there was a way to just not show the display area, that would work for me.
--

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 08:29:05 pm »

Seriously?  A single tab click is too much effort?  Oh well, everyone uses MC differently.  :)

To not have the Tree ever show the mini-display, do as I already pointed out a couple posts back...
the Tree mini display is only shown if no tabs are set to Playing Now.

So... set 1 tab to your preferred Panes view, and another tab set to Playing Now, and the Tree mini-display will NOT show.  The Playing Now tab does NOT have to be active (the one you are viewing) for this to work - you can still use your Panes view as your active tab.

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 07:48:18 am »

Excellent! Having the second tab works as you describe, and survives a relaunch of the program. Many thanks.
--
Pages: [1]   Go Up