INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose Portable Home Speaker was working - now no sound  (Read 1533 times)

GaryG45

• Recent member
Bose Portable Home Speaker was working - now no sound
« on: December 04, 2021, 09:35:12 am »

I'm using MC28 28.0.88 64bit with Windows 10, and my Bose Portable Home Speaker, which had been working fine, now produces no sound.  If I select a track and send it to the speaker and select the speaker under Playing Now, all indications are that the track is playing, but I get no sound.  The time in the Player Bar increases as it plays and continues on beyond the end time of the track.  My Player and Sonos Play3 speakers work fine.  The problem began 3-4 days ago, and I don't think I changed anything for this speaker.  I'm able to stream Spotify from my PC to it without any problems, so I know it works.

I've powered down the speaker, exited MC28, and rebooted my PC.  The speaker is associated with Generic DLNA. Everything for the speaker looks good in the Bose Music app, which doesn't show much.  I've run Whitebear's Media Renderer Analyzer, and the suggested and actual MC server settings are the same.  It seems like information about this speaker got clobbered in MC, but I doubt it.  I'd appreciate any ideas on what to do next.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Bose Portable Home Speaker was working - now no sound
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 01:36:02 pm »

Does it do it with all music?  Did you change anything recently?

I recently digitised an old vinyl album that was in mono, so as part of the digitizing process I mixed it down to a single channel.
I see what you see when I play it to my Bose Soundtouch speakers from JRiver, but it plays fine to my PC speakers.

I found an option in Tools > Media Network > Advanced > Add or cofigure DLNA servers > Advanced DSP Studio > Ouput Format > Channels that I set to 2 channels (stereo) but that didn't make any difference.

All my stero music plays as expected.

[EDIT]
I read the DSP over DLNA thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92801.0.html
Now that I have set Mode: Specified output Format
and set the format to 16bit PCM my single channel files play OK

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 02:25:18 pm »

I changed my router a couple of weeks ago because of an internet speed change.  I tested the speaker after the change, and it worked fine.  Things were hectic on Thanksgiving week because of travel preparations, and I cannot remember making any changes to MC, the speaker or the Bose Music app.  But it could have happened.

The problem is with all my music.  My digitized vinyl is 24/96kHz and my digitized CDs are 16/44.1kHz.

Advanced DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels is 2(stereo), and Audio mode is Specified output format with the format set to PCM 16 bit.  I've tried PCM 24 bit, and it didn't make a difference.

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 11:11:30 am »

The speaker is working again, and I'm not sure why.
I read a number of posts and saw one about startup options.  I changed the Windows Startup option from Nothing to Media Server then shutdown the PC.  After restarting the PC I remembered that I still had MC27 installed, so I changed Windows Startup in MC28 back to Nothing, shutdown and restarted the PC.  After the PC was up I started MC27 and the speaker worked.  I shutdown MC27, rebooted, and now the speaker works with MC28.

Maybe the complete PC shutdown instead of a restart cleared something that was causing the problem on either the Bose end or with MC28.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 11:18:08 am »

The speaker is working again, and I'm not sure why.
I read a number of posts and saw one about startup options.  I changed the Windows Startup option from Nothing to Media Server then shutdown the PC.  After restarting the PC I remembered that I still had MC27 installed, so I changed Windows Startup in MC28 back to Nothing, shutdown and restarted the PC.  After the PC was up I started MC27 and the speaker worked.  I shutdown MC27, rebooted, and now the speaker works with MC28.

Maybe the complete PC shutdown instead of a restart cleared something that was causing the problem on either the Bose end or with MC28.

If you inadvertently had 27 server running then I think that might cause problems for 28 when it comes to DLNA.  I'm sure I have seen a post saying something like that in the past.

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 03:59:55 pm »

The last time I had MC27 running to my knowledge was late June or early July, as I bought MC28 at the end of May.  I checked the Windows Startup on MC27, and it was set to Nothing.  I've done a lot of PC restarts since July, so I doubt if the MC27 server has been running.

If I remember correctly, Bose speakers aren't fully DLNA compliant or had DLNA issues.  Now that the Bose forum has been shutdown I cannot find any of the posts regarding DLNA.  Their DLNA integration could have caused my problem or contributed to it.  I have another weird problem with MC and this speaker that I have to check to see if it occurs with my other speakers before posting anything about it.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 04:22:07 pm »

I used to have problems with MC and my Bose speakers.  The problems disappeared without me consciously fixing anything. It could have been a Bose upgrade or an MC upgrade...who knows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up