INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BluRay playback and external subtitles bug?  (Read 400 times)

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
BluRay playback and external subtitles bug?
« on: December 04, 2021, 01:25:23 pm »

While playing a BluRay using "Main Title only" option, I have the choice in the context menu to select an external subtitle file. And it works fine, the file is used and displayed over the video, and shows up in the context menu Subtitles list.

However, if I chose to play the same BluRay using "full Menu Navigation", I also have the choice in the context menu to select an external subtitle file. But it doesn't work. The subtitle is not rendered over the video, and if I display the context menu Subtitles list again, it does not appear listed there.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: BluRay playback and external subtitles bug?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 03:30:08 pm »

External subtitles are not supported when playing Blu-ray menus because when using the menu, its going to play all sorts of videos, and synchronizing external subtitles to the interactive nature of the menu is not currently possible. Sorry!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
Re: BluRay playback and external subtitles bug?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 05:08:47 am »

I understand having menu functionality means the user can change what is being played during playback, and that makes it difficult to use external subtitle files.

What I was thinking was that once a title starts playing, what is going to be played is well defined (we have a timeline with a defined duration that shows up when we move the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen, after all), and loading a subtitle through the context menu Subtitles -> Browse to be used just during the playback of that title would work fine. Once the user goes back to the BluRay main/title menu or picks another title to play, the use of the subtitle would stop immediately and the user would have to manually browse to it again if he starts playback of the same title again. This is a use case that I think makes sense, and could be considered as a feature request perhaps. Don't know how easy it would be to have it implemente though.

I want to make sure it's understood I'm not speaking of having a subtitle file with the same filename as one of the m2ts files and to somehow have it auto-magically used while content from that m2ts file is played. Although my request for being able to specify an external subtitle for playing a title might perhaps be implemented as having an external subtitle file with the same file name as the playlist file of the title that is being played? Again, I don't know if this would make it easier to implement such a feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up