INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver plays multichannel FLAC in Stereo  (Read 1402 times)

RockyMalerbo

• Recent member
JRiver plays multichannel FLAC in Stereo
« on: December 08, 2021, 12:15:54 pm »

I am trying to bitstream multichannel FLAC files to my receiver. They only play in 2.0. IN DSP Studio, Output Encoding is set to NONE, and channels is set to Source Number of Channels. That works with everything else.  Even if I change OUTPUT ENCODING to 4.0 or 5.1, the FLAC files are still being output in 2.0. Any suggestions, please?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: JRiver plays multichannel FLAC in Stereo
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 04:19:20 pm »

what is the mode set to on the DLNA server config?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 06:22:47 pm »

I am trying to bitstream multichannel FLAC files to my receiver.
How are you connecting the MC host with the receiver? 

They only play in 2.0. IN DSP Studio, Output Encoding is set to NONE, and channels is set to Source Number of Channels. That works with everything else.  Even if I change OUTPUT ENCODING to 4.0 or 5.1, the FLAC files are still being output in 2.0. Any suggestions, please?
Leave Output Encoding to NONE.  Set Channels to 5.1.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

RockyMalerbo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 09:57:11 pm »

Sorry I was not clear enough. I am playing FLAC FILES of Quadraphonic transfers I obtained. Originally, they were .ISO files made for DVD-A with MLP. They did not come with a stereo track, just 4.0. I had a few .ISO files that wouldn't play with Virtual Clone Drive and I had to convert them to FLAC.
Interestingly, I am only having problems with the ones that were encoded as 4.0. I have a couple that were encoded as 5.1 -- even though there is no center channel! -- and they play perfectly. I also have some FLAC 5.1 conversions of DTS files that play fine.
THIS WAS WORKING A SHORT TIME AGO. Three things changed at approximately the same time: 1. JRiver 27 became 28; 2. I switched from a laptop with an i7 processor to one with AMD Ryzen 7; and 3. I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. I am not sure if any of those three things may have caused my 4.0 quadraphonic transfers to downmix to 2.0.
I tried converting to 4.0 WAV with the same result. They are also being downmixed to 2.0.
Thank you. ::)

RockyMalerbo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 10:18:29 pm »

I want to clarify that the 5.1 FLAC conversions from DTS-CD, SACD, and DVD-A play fine. The problem only is that 4.0 conversions downmix to 2.0. Some ISO torrents will not play at all, but the ones that mount in Virtual Clone Drive are beautiful 1970's Quadrophonic!

40th.com

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 10:58:36 pm »

Try this.

Speaker Setup.
Quadraphonic.
Test.

Only hear L and R?

See the attached png.
Ultimate Hi-Fi
Jukebox 2112

RockyMalerbo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 09:33:08 am »

Thank you. I will look for that speaker setup setting. My receiver is either 7.1 or Dolby Atmos. I have DSP studio set to OUTPUT ENCODING: NONE, CHANNELS: SOURCE NUMBER OF CHANNELS. The receiver is set to AFD and it changes according to the source.

I got clue last night. I tried to play a 4.0 SACD - The Best of The Guess Who. I got a pop-up from JRiver that it couldn't play it because of my DSP Studio settings. The message was that 176,400/24, 5 channels would not work . It suggested that JRiver change it to 176,400, 6 channels and asked if I wanted JRiver to automatically change it. I clicked-on YES and restarted the SACD and The Guess Who played beautifully! There were 4 speakers being used.

My quadraphonic transfers are 96,000/24 so I don't understand why it is suddenly downmixing them.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 12:14:30 pm »

I got clue last night. I tried to play a 4.0 SACD - The Best of The Guess Who. I got a pop-up from JRiver that it couldn't play it because of my DSP Studio settings. The message was that 176,400/24, 5 channels would not work . It suggested that JRiver change it to 176,400, 6 channels and asked if I wanted JRiver to automatically change it. I clicked-on YES and restarted the SACD and The Guess Who played beautifully! There were 4 speakers being used.
Yes.  6 channels = 5.1 channels.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 12:19:06 pm »

Bitstreaming only works for encoded audio. If you are using FLAC, then it is sending PCM using the audio device selected in Tools > Options > Audio. If you haven't selected your receiver as the audio device with [WASAPI] after it, then you are using the Windows audio mixer which can be converting the JRiver output to stereo.

RockyMalerbo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 09:52:43 am »

Yeah, my receiver is set to WASPI (whatever that means).

I found a work-around. Set CHANNELS to 5.1, then shut-off the center channel speaker on the receiver. It works, but I hate to have to change these settings.

Maybe Windows 11 is doing something to the audio mixer, but everything else works fine.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up