INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different behavior when streaming versus local files  (Read 1766 times)

wayne13

• Recent member
Different behavior when streaming versus local files
« on: December 12, 2021, 05:55:18 pm »

I built a little i2s player to send PCM to my Directstream DAC via i2s (to see what it's like). It's built with a Pi4 with IanCanada's FifoPi and HDMI transmitter that send i2s via LVDS to the DAC.  I used dtoverlay hifiberry-dac to enable the play through the FifoPi and transmitter.

When playing local files, everything plays fine.  When using the Pi/JRiver as renderer through BubbleUPNP to stream Qobuz, I noticed I would lose the very beginning (like less than a second) of tracks when I switch songs.

The FifoPi has LEDs to indicate when it is receiving the signals from the Pi, and I noticed when streaming, the LEDS would go out between tracks or when I stop play.  This is as opposed to when playing local files, the LEDs are on continuously.

I suspect this behavior is the reason for losing the beginning of each track when streaming Qobuz.  I have read about GPIO muting or similar with the Hifiberry dac overlay, but I don't think that's the issue, since the cutout does not occur between tracks when playing local files.

Any ideas on how to configure JRiver, Bubble, or the Pi4 to NOT mute/stop signal/whatever when streaming something like Qobuz?  Not sure if it's something Qobuz is doing - I can't find a setting that would be causing this.

wayne13

• Recent member
Re: Different behavior when streaming versus local files
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:13:42 pm »

I forgot to mention - using Bubble to stream Qobuz directly to the Directstream via the Bridge II, there is no loss at the beginning of any track.  This is another reason why I don't think it's necessarily being caused by BubbleUPNP.

Like is there some setting in JRiver to prevent the break in signal between tracks?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Different behavior when streaming versus local files
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 04:42:42 pm »

Not really sure what you are seeing here but streaming just isn't the same as playing from a local file.
It could be metadata at the end of the "track". You can't do random access on a stream.
For this reason, some streams simply can't be seeked, like mp4 with the MOOV atom at the end.

Anyway that aside, you should set your MC track transitions to gapless and start and stop as standard, no fade or gapping.

You might try disabling buffering to disk under Media Network->Advanced.
It limits the ability to seek some streams (the aforementioned mp4) but eliminates a layer.
Also make sure you aren't using play from memory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up