INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing Music  (Read 1138 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Sharing Music
« on: December 14, 2021, 11:07:48 am »

Hi, can someone please describe how they're using the Sharing feature? I see when I right-click a file that there's "Library Tools > Share", but when I try, I get an information box that says, "Please enable Media Network to allow sharing."

I'm using JRiver as a Win10 client, while music's being served by the Id. On the Id server, I obviously have "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" checked.

Is the idea that I can't share from a client? Because that seems severely limiting, or am I an anomaly with this server setup?

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Sharing Music
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 04:18:24 pm »

What are you hoping to achieve?  When you use Library Tools > Share you get a dialog that offers you the choice of copying either a locally or internet accessible link to the clipboard to give access to the track or tracks that you have selected.  Presumably you can then share that link with someone else.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 08:30:44 pm »

I am hoping to use the Sharing function. Isn't that the goal of Sharing?

Right now, my system cannot do it. When I choose Library Tools > Share, this is what I get.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 09:25:11 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128554.0.html

Sharing from a client may not work.  Linux may not work.  Set up in Windows first.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 06:45:50 am »

I am hoping to use the Sharing function. Isn't that the goal of Sharing?

Right now, my system cannot do it. When I choose Library Tools > Share, this is what I get.

If you were to explain in a bit more detail what it is you are trying to achieve then someone may be able to suggest an alternative method.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 07:53:52 am »

OK, sure. I'd like to be able to share access to songs in my JRiver MC library with others, as I've seen it described as a new feature in MC27. I've wanted this feature to be available ever since I started using MC 12 years ago. It sounds like a great feature! Click a song, right-click, Library Tools, Share. I don't know what is meant to happen after that. I get an error when I try.

I'm using MC (ver. 28.0.92) on my Win10 desktop as a client attached via ethernet to an Id. The music files live on a Synology NAS next to the Id.

Did I leave out any important details?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 09:05:38 am »

Not to ask a silly question, but have you tried enabling media network on the computer giving you the error that's telling you to enable media network?  If so, what happens next?

I suspect (but do not know) that sharing may be easier if you try to share from the server than from the client, but sharing may well work fine on the client.  But the easy way to find out how it works on the client is to try, and I think the way to try is to do what the error is telling you to do.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 09:47:16 am »

No silly questions for me! I'm a user, not a tech. Well, I am techie, but I do not have nearly the grasp of folks on this forum!

I can remote control (Windows feature) into the Id, but selecting a song, right-click, Library Tools does not yield a "Share" option. I suspect this is because the Id version of MC that's installed doesn't allow that feature (see attached).

As far as "enabling media network on the computer giving you the error", here's my server setup Media Network screen (also attached), which is not the computer giving me the error. I do not have media network enabled on the Windows client machine, because I do not want to share the client library and enable DLNA. The client does not have a library, only the server does. I would like the client to simply read the library on the server.

Have I misunderstood my configuration?? I'm prepared that this is entirely a possibility... give me the truth. I can handle it!  :-[

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 02:20:10 pm »

I don't know why you aren't seeing the sharing option on the ID, but I don't use an ID as my server. 
If you just generally want to make the tracks available to your friends, rather than give them a link to a specific track, you could use Panel. 
Set up port forwarding on your router to forward 52199 to your ID.  Then tell your friends to go to http://youripaddress:52199
They will then see the Panel web interface to Media Centre.  Before doing this, on the ID you may want to go in to Tools > Options > Media Network > Read Only Authentication.  Then enable RO Authentication and create a user name and password to share with your friends.
That way they can browse your library and play music but not change anything.

The downside of this is that it is likely that you don't have a fixed IP address, so unless you set up DDNS then you will need to let your friends know when your external IP address changes.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 02:44:23 pm »

Thank you for replying Richard! I am aware of Panel, and I have had friends poke around in my library, and enjoy my music.

Directing my friends directly to tracks, however, would take this to a new level. One I'm eager to get to. I'll hope that someone who uses a Client-Server model will weigh in on their experiences or expertise.

It's true, I don't have a fixed IP address.  :'(

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 03:31:10 pm »

Thank you for replying Richard! I am aware of Panel, and I have had friends poke around in my library, and enjoy my music.

Directing my friends directly to tracks, however, would take this to a new level. One I'm eager to get to. I'll hope that someone who uses a Client-Server model will weigh in on their experiences or expertise.

It's true, I don't have a fixed IP address.  :'(
I thought you could get a URL for a track in Panel but looking at it just now I can only get a URL to an album.

It does sound like you need the Share option, I'm surprised it doesn't work on your ID.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 03:50:28 pm »

I really wouldn't want to use the Id directly... a remote connection from my PC (on the 2nd floor) to the Id is not exactly elegant. You can't copy/paste from a remote connection into a live setting in Windows anyway.

Perhaps I can safely turn on the "Use Media Network" checkbox on the Client without negative consequences, but I'm not feeling safe about that on my own.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 04:11:23 pm »

I really wouldn't want to use the Id directly... a remote connection from my PC (on the 2nd floor) to the Id is not exactly elegant. You can't copy/paste from a remote connection into a live setting in Windows anyway.

Perhaps I can safely turn on the "Use Media Network" checkbox on the Client without negative consequences, but I'm not feeling safe about that on my own.

Doesn't whether you can copy and paste from a remote connection depend on what you are using to make the connection?

I just tried turning on Use Media Network in my client pc, while connected to my library on a separate server.  I had to restart MC on the PC after doing this, but the share option worked.  I had to allow MC through windows firewall for it to work.
The downside (show stopper), I think, is that the URL it generates is to my client PC, not to the server.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 09:10:55 am »

Ah, that's very helpful. I would imagine the same. Thank you very much for trying. Looks like this isn't gonna work in my configuration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up