INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver not seeing video files  (Read 1413 times)

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver not seeing video files
« on: December 16, 2021, 11:57:03 am »

Maybe a full one half of my videos are not seen by JRiver. The videos are mostly mpg files (a few other types as well). I've tested the files several times and they play fine outside of JRiver. Some are two disc sets with only one of the disc's being recognized. I have cleared the library several times with the same result. I've also re-encoded/converted some to a different format without any luck. Running out of ideas. Anyone have an idea as to why JRiver is unable to see my files? Any help with a troubleshooting procedure would be much appreciated!

- t

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: JRiver not seeing video files
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 02:55:26 pm »

I'm assuming "unseen by JRiver" means the video files don't show up in the library after import?  Maybe re-import the videos (or some of them) and use the option to "Apply these tags" Media Type: video.  Then see if they show up under videos... and see if they "play".  Just a guess, but I have had some "older" mpg files that weren't automatically recognized as video.  Don't know why.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 03:17:38 pm »

Thanks badger,
yes, after an attempt at import some just don't show up in the library. I have even re-encoded to various formats, then tried again, they still don't show up. I've tried dragging them in one by one (bypassing auto import), no luck. I've tried renaming the files, no luck.

I looked through all the menus (i think) and i can find no 'Apply these tags'. Could you clarify for me what your suggestion i try?

-t

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 03:41:24 pm »

Some container formats can be audio or video, so MC can't know.  These may be under Documents.  Try a search.  Edit the metadata.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 04:02:10 pm »

Some container formats can be audio or video, so MC can't know.  These may be under Documents.  Try a search.  Edit the metadata.

I understand the container statement, sounds promising!. Not sure i understand "...under documents". I searched JRiver (upper right) no missing files show up (am i getting this right?). You are suggesting i edit the metadata of the missing files, but if they don't show, how?

Update: i found the missing files under Video>Files. I'll try editing the tags to see if i can get them to show up. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 05:05:48 pm »

Look at the Media Sub-type tag. 

Try playing the file.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 10:52:23 am »

I looked through all the menus (i think) and i can find no 'Apply these tags'. Could you clarify for me what your suggestion i try?

tools > import > configure auto import > next > click on the folder containing the video files > edit.  On this screen you can specify media type (video), and media sub-type (Movie, Home video, show, etc.).  This way as you add new videos to the folder they will automatically be tagged...  and "show up" where you want them.  This method does presume that the subject folder ONLY contains files of the same type and sub-type.  In other words, if you specify sub-type "Movie"... even audio files in this folder will be tagged as a Movie.

More importantly though, now that you know they did import as video (files).  Do they play??

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 06:04:24 pm »

Thank you Badger & JimH for holding my hand through this step in my learning process!
I believe i have everything up and running, as far as files being recognized and displayed as desired! (I haven't played/tested all files or formats as of yet).

For others that may be in my position:
JRiver will attempt to tag your files upon import. They will not always be accurate. An example might be; if the file is named 'Folk Blues Festival 1962-1966' - JRiver might tag 'season' as 1962 and 'Episode' as 1966 (as it did in my case). It also might place your video file in 'TV Show' or 'Movie' etc. Not to worry, it is somewhat easy to correct. Here's what i did after suggestions from this thread. In the navigation tree choose 'Video' then choose 'files'. This will display all the imported files. Right click the first file in the list on the right pane, choose 'tag'. Now you can make any changes you like to ensure that the files are displayed where you want. Do this for all files and you should be good to go. I know that this seems obvious to many of you, but for a beginner it was a bit of a struggle to get it figured out.

Now as for the files themselves, i've noticed that after clearing the library and re-importing there are always a few files that revert back to the original tag. The xml files reflect the change, so why they are changing i have no idea. Still exploring this behavior.

Thanks again, Tom

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 10:45:23 am »

Is there a way to lock the xml file so no further changes can be made?

macdonjh

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 11:45:16 am »

Thank you Badger & JimH for holding my hand through this step in my learning process!
I believe i have everything up and running, as far as files being recognized and displayed as desired! (I haven't played/tested all files or formats as of yet).

For others that may be in my position:
JRiver will attempt to tag your files upon import. They will not always be accurate. An example might be; if the file is named 'Folk Blues Festival 1962-1966' - JRiver might tag 'season' as 1962 and 'Episode' as 1966 (as it did in my case). It also might place your video file in 'TV Show' or 'Movie' etc. Not to worry, it is somewhat easy to correct. Here's what i did after suggestions from this thread. In the navigation tree choose 'Video' then choose 'files'. This will display all the imported files. Right click the first file in the list on the right pane, choose 'tag'. Now you can make any changes you like to ensure that the files are displayed where you want. Do this for all files and you should be good to go. I know that this seems obvious to many of you, but for a beginner it was a bit of a struggle to get it figured out.

Now as for the files themselves, i've noticed that after clearing the library and re-importing there are always a few files that revert back to the original tag. The xml files reflect the change, so why they are changing i have no idea. Still exploring this behavior.

Thanks again, Tom

I have this problem as well, mostly with DVD rips of TV Shows.  As JimH says, they often turn up in Documents because they get tagged as [Data] for some reason.  I've not tried to fix this with any of the automated import functions.  I simply look under Documents -> Files if any of my video files are "missing" when I'm done ripping.  Correcting the tags/ metadata works to get my files back where they're supposed to be.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 01:32:35 pm »

I have this problem as well, mostly with DVD rips of TV Shows.  As JimH says, they often turn up in Documents because they get tagged as [Data] for some reason.  I've not tried to fix this with any of the automated import functions.  I simply look under Documents -> Files if any of my video files are "missing" when I'm done ripping.  Correcting the tags/ metadata works to get my files back where they're supposed to be.
Some formats are just container formats.  They can include audio or video or something else.  In that case, MC may not be able to put them in the right category.

MP4, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

macdonjh

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 01:35:04 pm »

Thank you for the explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up