INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback not showing full screen resolution  (Read 470 times)

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
DVD playback not showing full screen resolution
« on: December 18, 2021, 01:37:50 pm »

Hello,

Every once and a while I come across DVD's that show up like the file attached. This one is DieHard that says that it is 2:35:1 aspect ratio. But for some reason it does not fill the screen. I also used .mkv to rip and tried on three different computers and screens.

Is this how it is or is there some setting I am missing to fill the screen?

Kind regards,
Mitch

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD playback not showing full screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 01:44:08 pm »

Perhaps it has encoded black bars on the top and bottom. You can often get a sense for the size of the actual video image by resizing the window a bit and seeing when the video starts compressing vertically or horizontally respectively.

If this is the case, you could fix it by right-clicking and going to Window -> Crop Black Bars -> Video is within 2.35:1 or one of the other options, so that no video is being cut off, depending on what looks good.
If I measure out the black bars and the width of the video image, it comes out to an exact aspect ratio of 1.33:1, or 4:3, so that would make sense to be the case.

DVDs are always 4:3, but usually they are anamorphic, eg. the image is instructed to stretch to the proper aspect ratio. In this case, they seem to have gone with extra fat black bars instead of anamorphic video. Either a particularly badly mastered dvd, or a bad re-encode.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
Re: DVD playback not showing full screen resolution
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 01:20:23 am »

Hi Hendrik,

Re: Window -> Crop Black Bars -> Video is within 2.35:1

Perfect! Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up