INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marantz NA-8005  (Read 2627 times)

Buscemi

Marantz NA-8005
« on: December 25, 2021, 02:30:28 pm »

Hi All, firstly I should explain that I am completely clueless when it comes to networks, media servers etc. It all goes flying over my head. Probably something to do with my age. My problem is I have acquired the above machine plus a copy of JRiver. All I want to know is how do I set up JRiver to recognise my Marantz in 'Player'. I've been round and round on this for a few days now with no success and my head hurts  ?. Any help regarding a simple step by step approach would be greatly appreciated.

Buscemi

Re: Marantz NA-8005
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 02:59:00 pm »

I should add that all my music files are on a usb drive attached to the windows pc where JRiver is installed. The Marantz is connected to my hi-fi system and a power line with ethernet cable. I have populated JRiver with the music but it just won't see the Marantz under Player. I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental but the question is what?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 03:24:44 pm »

The Marantz may need to be set to a special mode.  Network, for example.  That's assuming that it's compatible at all.

Crutchfield says it does DLNA.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7fUJMEg3n27/p_642NA8005/Marantz-NA8005.html

Our wiki has a DLNA topic and another on Media Network.

Does it mention DLNA in the instructions?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 04:16:24 pm »

That receiver also has a usb connection so you connect the computer to the receiver via a usb cable.  That may be easier and more reliable than using DLNA, if the computer is close enough to the receiver.

Buscemi

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 02:51:06 pm »

Sorry, been laid low for a couple of days. Dry continuous cough with a temperature of 38.9. Wonder what that could be?  ::)

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. I'll dig more into the DLNA options. I'm sure it does use DLNA. I guess it's just finding the right settings. Alternatively, the PC and Hi-Fi system are on opposite sides of the room but I'm thinking I could set up a small laptop with the usb drive nearer the unit. The only thing is it mentions a dedicated driver from the marantz website but I'm damned if I can find it  :( Am I missing something obvious..........again?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 02:57:46 pm »

The USB  driver download is on the bottom of this page

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/hi-fi-components/na8005

I'd try to get the DLNA working before getting another computer.

Buscemi

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 04:02:17 pm »

Thanks dtc. I have a spare laptop but I would rather get it working via DLNA

What's puzzling me is I've gone onto WMP and clicked on more streaming options on this network and lo and behold Marantz NA8005 is on there. I've ticked allow access and then played a track and when I go to 'Cast to Device' I searches for a device but no devices found and the track plays through the PC speakers only.

Either the Gods of network streaming are against me or this is all too much for my pea sized intellect  :-[

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 08:12:29 pm »

Be sure media network is enabled - Tools - Options - Media Network.  The Marantz should appear in Playing Now on the Top Left of the main screen. Select that and the music should go to the Marantz.  MC does not use Cast to play to a networked device.

Buscemi

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 05:06:09 am »

Sorry, I'm confusing things. I meant I'd tried it in Windows Media Player as this is the only step by step guide given in the NA8005 instructions. It shows in the streaming devices, I have checked the allow box for the Marantz but it only plays through the PC and the Marantz does not show in the 'Cast to' search.

Yes. I've enabled Media Network in JRiver but no sign of the Marantz

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 07:57:10 am »

It won't show as a device you can cast to.

Open Playing Now.  Then open the lower section.  If it's in a DLNA mode, the device will be there.  If not, re-read the Marantz instructions.

Buscemi

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 05:03:08 pm »

Ok, I decided to go the USB-DAC route with an old laptop I have. Out of interest, I just decided to try setting it up via DLNA and voila the Marantz appeared under 'Player' immediately  :D

Then I went back to the main PC which would still be my optimum option. Just in case, I uninstalled reinstalled everything and set things up the same way as the laptop and..................................nothing  :'(

How can that be? The laptop and PC (and Marantz) are all on the same network  ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 05:30:30 pm »

Firewall or antivirus on the one that doesn't work.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 05:37:45 pm »

This is where playing across the network can be tricky. Try temporarily turning off the Windows firewall or whatever software firewall you are using.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 06:01:23 pm »

You can read about firewalls on our wiki.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

More about finding DLNA servers here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 06:32:13 pm »

Other things you can try that might give you clues.

From your laptop, try connecting to your server.  Try the Access Key method.

On the server, in a browser, try typing http://localhost:52199    This will try to connect to MC on your server.  You should see Panel, our web app.

The Media Network section of MC's options has a test that might tell you something.

Buscemi

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 04:04:11 am »

I cannot thank you both enough. I'd recently upgraded to Avast Premium and the network on the PC was marked as untrusted for some strange reason. Anyway, switched to trusted with immediate success  :) 8).

Once again, you nailed it for me and I am eternally grateful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 07:41:37 am »

Good news!  Thanks for reporting the solution and also for your patience. 

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 11:30:58 am »

Congratulations.

I used to use Avast, but with Windows 10 I have switched over to Windows Defender. I find it works well and does not have much overhead.  Something to consider.

Enjoy your music :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up